PDA

View Full Version : Xmas barrel top box

John Bush
11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi All,
I am considering making a barrel top box to hold a bottle of wine for a friends Xmas gift. I have made simple designs for him for the last 5 years and would like to step it up a bit this year. Any suggestion on how to do a barrel top or references on joining technique?? I figure if I make a very kewel box he won't notice the cheap wine inside!! Thanks, JCB.

Larry Fox
11-04-2008, 6:51 AM
Look for the thread from Bill Wyko - he did a fantastic barrel-top humidor a while back. He does top notch work and is very helpful.

Bill Wyko
11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Here's one I built. I make a jig and vacuum 3 layers of 1/8" bender board glued together. Then I cit it to size using the jig as the guide. This could also be done with clamping as well.

John Bush
11-05-2008, 8:02 PM
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't get a pic in your post, but I have peeked at some of your incredible work. I also got a look at pics of your shop while searching for info specifically about your work. I have tons more space and "treeasures" to work with but a small fraction of your talent!! I'd sure like more info on the barrel techniques if possible. Thanks again, John.