PDA

View Full Version : Get out and Vote

Andrew Derhammer
11-03-2008, 9:59 PM
Don't matter if it is McCain, Obama, Barr, Nader, Write in
Make your voices heard tomorrow!
Please no political discussion,
it's just a friendly reminder to do your duty to your country!

Dennis Peacock
11-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Agree with ya Andrew. Y'all vote tomorrow.....

This thread is NOT to become a political discussion.

Like Andrew....just a gentle reminder to go vote. :D

Dave Lehnert
11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I bet the one with the most votes in the electoral college will win:D

Andrew Derhammer
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I bet the one with the most votes in the electoral college will win:D
I'll wager ya $5 they won't:p

Mike Henderson
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Already voted - love that early voting. It was available Oct 19-28 here in California - and lots of places to vote: the mall, the airport, most civic centers, etc. You vote on the same machines as on election day. Lots of people took advantage of early voting. Should make voting easier tomorrow for those who didn't vote early.

Mike

Nancy Laird
11-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I voted three weeks ago by absentee ballot. I just love it that you don't have to have some sort of written "excuse" or justification for an absentee ballot any more -- just have to request one. LOML didn't--so he gets to stand in line tomorrow. The lines at some of the early polling places here in Albq were two to four hours wait time, but people were voting. I heard that some places has six-hour waits at the early voting places. Looks like lots and lots of people are going to do (or have done) their civic duty this election.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I"ve only failed to vote in one election since I was old enough to vote. I got sent out of town to work and got extended by one more week than originally planned.

Vote!

Dave Lehnert
11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
I can see the polls from my workshop. I remember 4 years ago I could not believe the lines late into the night. I can work in the shop and see when the line is short.

Eric Larsen
11-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Already voted this year. I like early voting. My mind has been made up for quite some time. (Edit: Including judges races and such. That's important, too.)

It was nice to avoid the lines entirely.

Keith Starosta
11-04-2008, 6:39 AM
My polling place is about 200 yards from my front door. I stepped into the line this morning at 5:25, and was 46th in line. At 6:00, the line was 300+ deep. I walked in the door at 6:15, with my "I Voted" sticker slapped firmly in place. If the early lines I saw are any indication, it's going to be a busy day for the voting officials.

- Keith

Joe Pelonio
11-04-2008, 7:51 AM
I had a sudden all-day installation come up and have to be there at 7am so will not be able to vote until this evening, but line or not I'll be there.

Tyler Howell
11-04-2008, 8:12 AM
Git-R-Dunnn!!!

Glenn Clabo
11-04-2008, 8:14 AM
I was first to vote in my polling place!

Paul Greathouse
11-04-2008, 8:15 AM
The precinct I vote at is in a rural area. I usually never have to stand in a line more than 10' - 20' long. This morning I showed up at 5:50am and the line was already about 150' long. Once the doors opened it moved pretty smoothly. I was walking back to my truck at 6:30am, so not to bad considering the long line.

Don't let the long lines stop you from voting, there's too much at stake this year. My dad operates a small construction business, he told his employees to take off early today if they hadn't voted yet. Dad will turn 70 this year and he's still a workaholic, when he says voting is more important than working today, he means it.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2008, 8:23 AM
Normally during an election year, on election day, the voting booth is the first place I drive on that day. This morning, I have a 0730 periodontist appointment. I wonder if they be upset if I didn't show up in time because I went to vote, instead? The polls here don't open until 0800 PDT.

Al Willits
11-04-2008, 8:47 AM
Line was to long as I went by this morning, so I'll vote twice on the way home....:)

Al

Mike Wilkins
11-04-2008, 9:00 AM
Love that early voting. Went the first day it opened here in NC. I still remember the 2 hour wait in 2004, and patience is not one of my virtues.

Drew Lavis
11-04-2008, 9:25 AM
Say or think what you want about the campaign or the candidates, it's certainly energized the electorate, and that can't be bad.

I read somewhere that the large amount of early and absentee voting will make the exit polls more unreliable, and make it more difficult for the media to call the states one way or the other. I'm wondering how this will effect the network coverage.

I'm something of a political junkie. I wish, sometimes, that these boards weren't so tightly moderated. There are so many well-spoken people here; I think there'd be some interesting viewpoints. But that's secondary to the spirit of this place - I get it, and it's all good.

Happy E.D. Vote early, and often. :)

Ben Rafael
11-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Stop in at a Starbucks and get a free cup of coffee, you only have to tell them you voted.
However, I dont know if they will give you 2 cups if you voted twice.

Greg Peterson
11-04-2008, 1:55 PM
The most fundamental right/responsibility we have is to vote.

In Oregon we have vote by mail, and it is very nice to be able to sit down, take your time examining the issues and discussing the facets surrounding the measures on the ballot.

No voting system or method is completely free of fraud, but vote by mail comes about as close as possible.

Larry Browning
11-04-2008, 3:43 PM
I have a slightly different opinion about voting. I say you should only vote if you have taken the time to study the candidates and come to an informed decision. If you do that, then, absolutely, vote with all your might! Let nothing get in the way! But, if you have not thought about it much, and only casually listened to the ads on TV and not given it careful consideration, then DO NOT VOTE! It is your civic responsibility to not vote when you really have no idea as to who or what you are voting for.
If I do not take the time and effort to educate myself on the issues, then I should at least have the courtesy to let the ones who have educated themselves decide without my uninformed vote skewing the outcome.

I voted today, on SOME things. But I also did NOT vote on other things, such as some of the questions on the ballot that I was not familiar with. Shame on me for not being informed.

Having the right to have a say in how my government is run is a very serious and important DUTY I have as a citizen. It is my responsibility to make informed decisions when casting my vote. If I am not responsible enough to do that, I should at least be responsible enough to not take part in the decision process.

Note: I do not think this is voicing a political opinion, as I have not mentioned anything specific. It is just an opinion about whether we should or should not vote. If the moderators feel this actually is political, sorry, I apologize, and completely understand this post being removed.

Belinda Barfield
11-04-2008, 3:57 PM
I hope the Mods let this one stand Larry, as you make an excellent point. Well said!

Jim Becker
11-04-2008, 4:20 PM
Larry, you do make a good point about being an informed voter. The only thing to be careful about is using the "ads on TV" (and in print) as an educational medium, whether "casually" or "seriously" listening to them. No matter whether they are from the candidate's campaign or from one of the various third party organizations, nearly all of the negative ads grossly distort the candidates actual positions, accomplishments and plans. (Especially the third party ads) If one wants to really be informed on where each candidate stands, then go right to the source for each individually and avoid the "my opponent says/believes/will..." rhetoric as well as the groups who have an agenda that is well supported by out of context and distorted representations. We all need to be smart enough not to fall for that kind of thing.

Outside of the positive ads from individual candidates, I think that the negative stuff, no matter from whom, is an increasingly voluminous phenomenon and is a sad part of the process. I'm so glad when the election is over and that stuff is off the air!

Dan Bertenthal
11-04-2008, 4:23 PM
Once the votes are all counted, we'll probably be hearing and reading about how divided our country is. Well, the Creek has confirmed for me that we have an awful lot in common. It's pretty cool that we have a community as diverse as this.

It's also a good time to thank the Creekers here who've stood up for my right to vote in various ways. By name I know of Doc Abele and Dave Barnhartt, and thanks to others whom I don't know of.

d

P.S. To the Creekers outside of the U.S., I believe the same is true that the Creek builds community across countries, too. I'm just focusing on the U.S. since it's election day here.

Larry Browning
11-04-2008, 6:20 PM
It really does bother me when I hear "Get out there and vote no matter what, it's the right thing to do!" The attitude of the act of voting is the most important thing, just seems wrong. I think the emphasis should be on getting informed first, and then go vote. I would really like to see the political ad that says "Don't vote unless you know what you are voting for"

Lucas Bittick
11-04-2008, 6:59 PM
Voting is a responsibility indeed. And, I'd like to throw in, we are very fortunate here in the U.S. to have the right to choose our leaders. On top of that, when we do do choose our national leaders, the transitions occur without violence. It doesn't work that way in a lot of places. A lot of people struggled and fought over centuries past to make it that way, so even if our favorites do not win, we live in a place of peace and prosperity-- something I am very thankful for!

Vote with pride and gratitude!