PDA

View Full Version : Trio of

Lynn Sonier
05-26-2004, 8:30 PM
Had some mahagony and red oak given to me so decided to make a few boxes. The red oak was part of a kneeler in a church and the mahagony was a table in a small sailboat. Mitered the corners with biscuits and cut rabbets in the corners for the accent, which is mahagony on the red oak and zebra wood on the one mahagony box. Made them to give away. The finish is Antique oil applied with steel wool and wax applied with, you guessed it, steel wool.

Mark Stutz
05-26-2004, 9:13 PM
Lynn,
Nice job. I like the beading detail. I enjoy making boxes, and may "borrow" that idea, if it's OK. Does the lower right box have an arched top or is it an optical illusion? If arched, how did you do the top?

Mark

Lynn Sonier
05-27-2004, 8:22 AM
Mark, I cut the top with a table saw, laying the box on its side, making a pass on each side at about 9 degrees. I then sand it kind of round.
The red oak box is cut the same way on all four sides. Thanks for looking.
Lynn

Dick Parr
05-27-2004, 8:22 AM
Very nice Lynn!

Dale Thompson
05-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Lynn,
Nice work. In reality, ALL woodworking is either a box or it is round. It looks as though you have a great start on the box part. I especially like the "rounded" tops on the boxes.

With boxes mastered, have you thought about the "round" stuff which, I think, comes from a lathe? ;)

Good job, Lynn!! :) :)

Dale T.

Lynn Sonier
05-28-2004, 8:19 AM
Dale, in fact, I may inherit a lathe in the next couple of weeks or so. A good friend is dismantling his father's workshop and he is looking to get rid of it.
I'm kind of afraid of it, though. I do, however, have a friend who is very proficient on the lathe and may be able to learn from him.

Chris DiCiaccio
05-28-2004, 8:35 AM
Great work, nice looking boxes! Have a great day.