PDA

View Full Version : Central Illinois Wood Source

Dave Novak
11-03-2008, 5:35 PM
Has anyone been to Pekin Hardwoods? It shares the same address as The Woodworkers Shop, so it seems safe to assume their one and the same - even though they have separate websites. How's their selection of domestics (I need cherry this time)? Thought I'd check with any fellow creekers in the area since it's about an 80 mile drive from Springfield. I usually head 100 miles in the other direction (St. Louis), but I haven't been exactly thrilled with the results - thought thought I might try something new. Thanks!

Clay Crocker
11-03-2008, 6:01 PM
Dave,

Pekin Hardwoods and The Woodworkers Shop are one in the same. They used to have a store here in Springfield, out on North Dirksen, but it closed almost 10 years ago. They have a very wide selection of quality lumber but it is relatively pricey (but this is probably true at most lumber stores these days). They do have "customer appreciation" days from time to time with some very good discounts on lumber, you might call and ask if they will be running any specials in the near future. The folks that run the place and work there have always been friendly and helpful. They don't mind you digging through the stacks to find just the right boards; just don't make a mess while you're doing it;). Based on my experience, you will probably be happier going to Pekin rather than to St. Louis.

I belong to the Capitol Area Woodworkers Club here in Springfield, we have a member who saws and kiln drys lumber. I don't know if he sells to people outside the club, but at the next meeting I will ask and I will let you know.

Clay

Dave Novak
11-03-2008, 6:16 PM
Thanks Clay!

Mike Parzych
11-03-2008, 6:33 PM
Here you go. Guy runs a tree service with a portable mill.

http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/

Dave Novak
11-03-2008, 7:18 PM
Wow Mike, that's fantastic. Besides finding someone who specializes in figured wood, I really like the idea of urban logging. His woodworking is simply beautiful as well. I'll check him out in person soon.

Mike Heidrick
11-03-2008, 7:30 PM
Dave, Gary Ward and I are selling wood we buy from Oakie/Steve in MI. It is in Clinton, IL. How much cherry are you looking for?

Dave Novak
11-03-2008, 7:57 PM
Thanks Mike. At a minimum, I need enough to make the drawer fronts for this chest I'm in process on. The top three will all be roughly 6 x 14", the bottom 3 rows, in order are 7 1/2", 8 3/4", and 10 1/2" tall by 22" wide.

I'd really like as much figure as I can find as the top and sides are very figured. I also need enough wood to build the drawers boxes themselves, but it doesn't have to be cherry (although, at the right price it's what I'd prefer) and it certainly doesn't need to be figured. I also planned to buy and just stockpile whatever I find that looks good of various species so I just have some lying around. I'm so tired of not having any wood, and not being within a reasonable drive to just pop out and grab some at the drop of a hat.

What have you got for sale and how much (you can pm me if you want). I was planning on heading North tomorrow because I stumbled across someone near Peoria who has 500 ft of rough cut cherry in his barn that he's trying to sell, but until I see it I won't know how suitable it is for me.

mike marconi
11-03-2008, 8:11 PM
Dave

There are a couple of local guys that have sawmill/kiln operations within 20 minutes of Springfield that I buy from. It's rough sawn and hit or miss as to what they have in stock, you just have to call first. Let me know if your interested and I will PM their contact info.

If your looking for dimensional lumber give Pawnee Lumber a try. Good quality and their lumber prices are more reasonable than you'll find elsewhere.

Mike

Mike Parzych
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Dave - Check out his $5 Wall too, lots of cool pieces for cheap. I only know him from another forum but he seems to be a very straight up guy. Let me know how it works out!

John Schreiber
11-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Has anyone been to Pekin Hardwoods? It shares the same address as The Woodworkers Shop, so it seems safe to assume their one and the same - . . .
I was just there on Saturday and they were closed at 3:00 pm. Luckily it was part of a trip to Peoria, but I was disappointed. I'd arrived with money in my pocket.

Clay Crocker
11-04-2008, 3:23 PM
Dave,

F.Y.I.: I just got a postcard in the mail today from The Woodworkers Shop, they are having a "Wood Expo" November 14-15. "Lumber Specials - up to 60% off"

Clay

Dave Novak
11-04-2008, 5:14 PM
Just got back from Woodworkers Supply in Pekin. Nice place, decent selection. Seemed pricey, but every retail place is. It's not as good as Owl Hardwood Lumber in Lombard and Des Plaines, but every bit as good as anywhere I've been in the St. Louis area, and a lot closer to me. I'll definitely be back, certainly for the wood expo mentioned above. Thanks all!

Tom Cullom JR.
11-04-2008, 8:44 PM
I'm a little late to chime in but there is a place in Quincey that has lumber also I have gotten cherry ply from them at a reasonable price. They have rough lumber also but im not sure on the price of that.
Hardwood Supply

2510 N 18th St
Quincy, IL 62305

(217) 222-5500

dan sherman
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I haven't checked this place out yet, but the husband of a co-worker recommended Country Side Woodworking (543-4190) in Arthur.

Peter Gregory
11-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I always had good luck with Tom Sontag's lumber recycling, hardwood supply business in St. Louis - http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php Got the sweetest QSWO from him a couple years back. Those guys understand the value of keeping the boards from the same tree together.

Had lots of good luck buying hardwoods from good old boys in Southern Illinois, who find unloved trees to turn into lumber. I have several thousand board feet of $1 to $2 per board foot lumber from assorted retired coal miners, and the like. They used to advertise in the paper, but now I bet they are using Craigslist.

Been out of the scene for a couple of years now, but there are great cheap sources around you, but you have to dig them out. Happy hunting.

Daren K Nelson
11-05-2008, 7:19 AM
I haven't checked this place out yet, but the husband of a co-worker recommended Country Side Woodworking (543-4190) in Arthur.

That is only 9 miles from me and I have never heard of it. I thought I should introduce myself since my name got brought up ;). Hello I am Daren. I signed up here a long time ago and got busy with other forums and such and have not checked in for awhile and had to reregister. This forum has really grown since my last visit.

Heather Thompson
11-05-2008, 9:59 AM
Just got back from Woodworkers Supply in Pekin. Nice place, decent selection. Seemed pricey, but every retail place is. It's not as good as Owl Hardwood Lumber in Lombard and Des Plaines, but every bit as good as anywhere I've been in the St. Louis area, and a lot closer to me. I'll definitely be back, certainly for the wood expo mentioned above. Thanks all!

Dave,

If you journey north periodically to buy wood, I would highly recommend a journey west of Owl Hardwood to visit the folks at The Hardwood Connection in Sycamore. Both suppliers are very good, but I prefer The Hardwood Connection, Ken and Dave are great to deal with and their shop is Very impressive. The address is 1810 W State St. Sycamore Il 60178 815 895-8733. They have an open house every year in November, this year it is on the 22nd from 8:30-3:00, pretty good time to be had. They will have factory reps from Saw Stop, Powermatic/Jet, Kreg Pocket Hole System and Freud. They normally have Dick Sing doing the spinney thing, but he had knee replacement recently so he will not be able to perform as he usually does, they will have Joe Dillert doing carving demonstations and other artists may stop by. This is the same weekend as the Wood Working Shows here in Chicago so it may be worth a trip.

Heather