PDA

View Full Version : Pic. Tryout/ Storefront

Walt Pater
05-26-2004, 7:39 PM
Seeing if I can post a picture of a current WIP, a cypress storefront for what will become a wine store. If I succeed in getting this picture up, I'll post some more of the details. The project was pretty demanding, as all the pieces came from the cabinetmaker pre-finished with a spar varnish, and the way the jambs of the door butted tight against the side panels sort of ruled out shims which I could then cover with casing. The cypress was pretty unstable, and warped a bunch over the 10' pieces (Nothing like straightening out 16/4 stock on sight )The CM and I feel okay enough about the overall job, though, and the owners are really pleased (guess that's what counts) More pix to follow.
Anybody out there worked with cypress much? After this, I'm a little wary of it.

Walt Pater
05-26-2004, 7:43 PM
Wow. Posting is easy, and the picture is fuzzy. More tomorrow, when I'm more focused. :)

Tyler Howell
05-26-2004, 7:56 PM
Beautiful old building Walt. You're breathing some great life back into it now. More pix please.:cool:

Todd Burch
05-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I think a concrete slab would warp if only one side was finished (a.k.a. sealed). How did you fix/hide it? I know how I would have "overcome" it. :)

Todd

Chad Pater
05-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Looks like it's coming along great. Speaking of great, I like your name too. :)

ps To all wondering...we are not related (at least that I know of)
Chad

Walt Pater
05-28-2004, 5:30 AM
Todd, getting the warps out was easy enough once the transom panel and the door jamb header were in place. I guess the big problem were the twists in the lumber, and most of those we were able to cheat out well enough, but I do have to run a few little strips to cover some gaps where the angled pieces for the bays butt into each other. I think I need to spring for a better camera. This $20.00 job is giving me exactly what I paid for.

Jim Becker
05-28-2004, 9:43 AM
That's quite a beautiful storefront, Walt. I'm glad to see it's character will live on...too much glass and metal gets used these days for such things!

As to the camera, having a decent digital camera is a good investment for a woodworker/contractor. It not only can serve to document your work for attracting new customers, (as well as SMC gloats) but can also be an important "CYA" tool from time to time. You can see some great reviews of a lot of D-cameras at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ --everthing from the inexpensive consumer tools up to the pro-sumer and pro versions. The good news is you don't need to spend a lot of money for a decent camera and some of the new very compact units offer great pictures in a package that will fit in your shirt pocket and/or tool box.

Walt Pater
05-28-2004, 6:23 PM
Jim, You're right. I should have a better camera. Problem is, I just sent my surplus bucks to Festool! BTW, the saw came today. Walt.

Brian Hale
05-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Walt, Jim is correct, a decent camera can be a real asset for several reasons including recording images for the insurance company. An option is to get a Kodak disposible film camera and when you get it developed, tell them you want the images on CD. You'll pay a bit more but you'll get some nice quality images on a permenant medium.

Another option is to tinker around in the image editing software that came with your camera. I spent ~2 minutes in Photoshop CS and got this from your posted image. (hope you don't mind)