PDA

View Full Version : grain orientation

Russ Peters
11-03-2008, 3:32 PM
Almost all of the bowls that I see posted are with the grain running horizontal. Is there a reason for this such as stability or is it just what is the norm?

Hal Taft
11-03-2008, 3:53 PM
Russ,
from what I've seen, it's partly the normal way wood is cut up for harvest and drying, and partly structural considerations. Take a look at the "sourwood goblet", there,s no way the stem could be any other way than long grain, though the foot might be a little vulnerable to breakage. My guess is that an available branch partly determined what he turned. But something wide and flat would normally be turned from a plank-like blank with the grain running side to side. For me, half the time I turn what I do to suit the available blank, and the other half I find a blank to suit what I want to turn.

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2008, 4:35 PM
If you wanted to make a bowl out of say limb then you would have to most likely contend with the pith a lot of times unless you have a big trunk. I will do this sometimes on a pretty piece of wood that is small and soak the pith with CA to keep it from cracking cause it will crack big time as it dries. Also make sure like HF's and bowls you keep the pith at center of the bottom. That way most of the pith is turned out and only have to contend with whatever thickness you leave the bottom at.

Neal Addy
11-03-2008, 4:41 PM
Horizontal grain is generally seen as asthetically pleasing but it doesn't have to be taken as a hard-and-fast rule. There can be exceptions.

Richard Madison
11-03-2008, 7:11 PM
Neal,
Have you considered selling templates of that shape?