PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

Wolf Kiessling
05-26-2004, 5:55 PM
I feel a little weird doing this, but, since I have met a handful of y’all, and am at a loss of what else to do, am going to go ahead. My wife, Joyce, is having complications, which are now narrowed down to her left foot, with Reynauds syndrome complicated by one or more blood clots. Personally, I feel there is one more problem but no one is willing to address that at this time. She was in intensive care for a little over a week but has been home now for about that amount of time. For a while, it looked like she might lose her left foot but now it appears that the most she will lose is one, maybe two, toes. The main problem, however, is the unrelenting pain she is suffering in her left foot. Now, on top of that, about three days ago she started getting migraine headaches. The phamacist, who is monitoring her caumadin therapy, thinks they are caused by the medications she has to take.

She has asked her regular doc, who is now deferring to her podiatrist, if she could just have the two toes amputated. The podiatrist, however, is unwilling to do that at this time. He wants to see the toes ulcerate prior to taking such drastic measures. I agree that one of the toes still looks like it might be viable, but the other one looks to me like it is beyond salvage. Anyhow, we are at a loss as to what to do. The pain is so bad she has had very little sleep during the last month. So, since I have seen some others of you do this, I am asking that you include Joyce in your prayers. Maybe it will bring her some relief. Thanks in advance.

Tony Falotico
05-26-2004, 6:02 PM
You can count on me Wolf, she will be in my prayers and placed on our prayer lists.

Keep us posted on her progress, Tony.

Jim DeLaney
05-26-2004, 6:35 PM
Wolf,
Has Joyce had her Uric Acid levels checked? A high Uric Acid level can cause crystals to lodge/build-up in the joints in the foot (Gout is the most common form) and cause nearly unbearable pain. (I've had the problem for about the past ten years, myself.)

If high Uric Acids are the problem (easily checked by a simple blood test), it can be easily (and cheaply!) treated with Allopurinol.

Dick Parr
05-26-2004, 6:37 PM
Wolf, I and my family are behind you. Your wife will be in our prayers.

Keith Hall
05-26-2004, 6:52 PM
Wolf, pain has the ability to make people do anything they think may help relieve the problem. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. While the loss of two toes is not the worst thing that can happen to you, will that solve the problem? Is there another medication substitute she can use while testing the pharmacist's theory? We will be very happy to include Joyce in our prayers, and for you too, to help get through these troubled times. Keith

Steve Knowlton
05-26-2004, 7:17 PM
I Will Keep You In My Prayers. A Wife Is A Precious Thing And When She Hurts You Want To Do Anything You Can To Help. God Bless

Jason Roehl
05-26-2004, 8:28 PM
Wolf, no sweat. Prayer is the one thing I can do to help. May relief from her pain be short in coming, and may the doctors have more wisdom to better diagnose and treat her.

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2004, 8:57 PM
Wolf....me and my family are right there with ya buddy.!!! Prayers will start tonight for you and the LOYL.

Jim Becker
05-26-2004, 9:01 PM
Thoughts are with you both...

Rob Littleton
05-26-2004, 11:28 PM
Prayer is my speciality (Wallace and Grommet quote about windows)......

Seriously, my family are strong believers that God is in charge and His will be done.

You and your family are certainly in our prayers.

God bless

Martin Shupe
05-27-2004, 8:24 AM
We will keep you and your wife in our thoughts and prayers.

Wolf Kiessling
05-27-2004, 8:34 AM
Jim, Gout is definitely not the problem. The 10 days she was in the hospital, actually two, she was tested from A to Z. The main probs relating to the pain are blood clots. She was stuck, prodded and probed by five other docs that our regular doc brought in on the case. Besides those, he consulted with some other ones, also.

Keith, She is not testing a pharmacist theory. The hospital has a Drug Monitoring clinic, which is mainly staffed by pharmacists, where they do the diabetes and caumadin monitoring. The caumadin that she is taking is a blood thinner which levels have to be very carefully monitored. She goes in, currently, once a week and the ultimate goal is to reduce that to about once a month. Doc figures she'll be on that at least six months. She has been taken off the heparin (clot buster) but is still on the calcium channel blocker (which keeps the veins open) and an ace inhibitor to combat the high blood pressure which is caused by the channel blocker.

Kurt Aebi
05-27-2004, 9:40 AM
Wolf,

You can count on prayers and thoughts from my family and friends, it helps to put your trust in the lord, he can really work miracles if you let him.

God Bless and prayer to relieve pain are on the way!

Hang in there, Buddy! Your Extended Family "the Creekers" will definitely keep your wife in our thoughts and prayers.

Your Northeastern Buddies, We're here for ya,
Kurt & Karen Aebi
North Springfield, VT

Warren White
05-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Wolf,
You and your wife will be in our prayers. Prayer is a powerful source of comfort and healing. We will pray also for the Doctors, nurses and technicians working on her that their skill, wisdom and compassion will rise to the challenge.

Best wishes for all concerned,
Warren White

Charles McKinley
05-27-2004, 2:19 PM
Hi Wolf,

My prayers are with both of you. If you have any reservations go to another hospital with doctors that haven't seen her before. Sometimes the general consensus over rules an outlying thought.

I have a strong distrust of doctors. If they know wha they are doing why is it called a practice?

Pete Lamberty
05-27-2004, 9:23 PM
I am sorry that the only thing that I can do for your wife is to pray for her. I will keep her, you, and your family in my prayers.

Tom Sweeney
05-27-2004, 11:02 PM
I will certainly add Joyce - & you also - in my prayers. with prayer & proper medical treatment Joyce will hopefully be on her way to recovery & freedom from pain.