PDA

View Full Version : how do you clean your 10" blades?

Matt Ellis
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Ok, so who uses what, and who has good experiences removing pine pitch? Walk me through your cleaning procedure...let it soak, scrub it immediately, etc. What kind of brush? Does anyone wax their plates after cleaning?

Thanks,

-matt

Pat Germain
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
This is one of those frequently asked question, Matt. Here's what usually comes out from these discussions:

- Forrest recommends kerosene and nothing else. It's cheap and effective, but you gotta store it like the flammable fuel that it is.

- Many people use Simple Green. However, the manufacturer of Simple Green advises against using it on carbide. There is an aviation version of Simple Green which is safe for carbide. (Sorry, I don't recall the name.)

- Some people use oven cleaner. It works, but it's probably not a good idea considering how caustic oven cleaner can be. I've never heard of cutting teeth flying off after cleaning with oven cleaner, but I wouldn't recommend it.

- I've used ammonia. While it's effective, I have since learned it's not a good idea for carbide.

- There are a number of cleaners specifically designed for cleaning sawblades. Some work better than others, but theyre all kinda expensive. Although, you can reuse the stuff. You might try whatever is on sale and see what works best for you.

A soft brush is all you should need to get the blade clean. I wouldn't bother with waxing. It would probably just burn off the first time you use the blade. Happy cleaning.

Chris Padilla
11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
This tub (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18197&filter=blade%20pitch) from Rockler really helps.

Also, when you click on this thread to read it...scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and check out the Similar Threads box.

Pat Germain
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey, that kit is pretty slick, Chris. Since gas prices are coming down, I just might have to make a trip to the Denver Rockler to pick up one of those and few other things I've been eying.

Did you say in another thread that they're now on sale?

Chris Padilla
11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Pat,

They go off and on sale plus Rockler often sends out "XX% off/free shipping email coupons" so get on their email list.

Ted Miller
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
I use 12" blades, but anyways:

Orange hand cleaner, spread on each tooth, gullets anywhere you see stains using a toothbrush, wait 10 minutes, scrub under warm water using same toothbrush. Teflon wax after drying off water...

Gary Lange
11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey Pat! Be sure that that big old hill or small mountain on the way to Denver doesn't have Ice and Snow on it. My sister told me about it when I was out visiting but I can't remember the name they have for it.

CPeter James
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I use the CMT cleaner and a brass bristle brush.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5396&refcode=05INFROO

CPeter

Tom Walz
11-03-2008, 1:23 PM
From saw users on the Internet

I did an Internet search. Here are recommended cleaners in alphabetical order. All of these have people who strongly favor them. Many have people who oppose them. Some I would not use for health or safety reasons. All can be dangerous. For MSDS info check. The spray brake and carburetor cleaners generally are the most expensive, most dangous and don't work all that well.

Pro Pride Heavy Duty Cleaner Degreaser' from 'Smart and Final'
Ammonia
Arm & Hammer washing SODA
Black Maxx
Bladesnbits
Boeshield Bit and Blade cleaner
Borax
brake fluid
bug and tar removers for cars
Castrol degrease
Castrol Super Clean
citrus-based cleaner
CMT Formula 2050
Dawn dishwashing detergent
Dawn Power Dissolver
De-Solve it
Dish Soaps (For a Dishwasher)
Do All machinery cleaner
Empire Blade Saver
Fantastic
Fast Orange hand cleaner
Freud fresolv(?)
Fume Free Easy Off Oven Cleaner
Gasoline
Goo Gone
Goof off
Goop
Greased Lightning
Hand Soaps
Hand Washing Dish Soaps
Hot tap water and a nylon brush
Kerosene
Krud Cleaner from HD
LA's Awesome Original Cleaner and Degreaser (undiluted)
Lestoil
Lye - a half teaspoon of lye and a drop of detergent in a quart of water
M.E.K
Mean Green
methyl hydrate
Mild Detergents
mineral spirits, but will use Naptha, Acetone, Toluene or gasoline if that's all I have.
most degreasers or citrus cleaners
Mr. Clean
Naphtha
Oil Eater
Orange Glow
Oven cleaner works well too
OxySolv, from Woodworker's Supply
Purple power
Rocklers cleaning kit
Rolloff
Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner
Simple Green
Simple Green Xtreme
Solvents
spray carburetor cleaner
Spray Nine
strong coffee for long term soaking
Sudsy ammonia
TSP or tri sodium phosphate
Varsol
Washing Soda
water - just soak the overnight in a pan of water then scrub with a soft bristle brush.
WD-40
Woodcraft Resin Remover
Zep Purple

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-03-2008, 1:33 PM
There is an aviation version of Simple Green which is safe for carbide. (Sorry, I don't recall the name.)

I believe it's called Extreme Simple Green.

Bill White
11-03-2008, 1:37 PM
A & H washing SODA.
Bill

glenn bradley
11-03-2008, 2:07 PM
Probably the best cleaning method is "often". If you don't wait till things are built up, you can clean them off with a squirt of 409 and a brass brush. I use L.A. Awesome that is available around here at the 99cents stores. Extreme Simple Green works just as well (and may be very similar in content). I haven't found many things that don't work unless I have procrastinated too long. Then I use a diluted LA Awesome or other Citrus cleaner and let them soak for 15 minutes or so. Then a brass 'toothbrush', then a rinse, then some T-9 and back on the rack.

Steve Sawyer
11-03-2008, 2:58 PM
If your blades are bare steel, and you're cleaning a blade that isn't in the saw all the time (like a glue-line rip or fine-tooth cutoff or Dado stack or something) I'd recommend giving the saw plate a quick wipe with your preferred rust-inhibiting product.

Ever since cleaning, rinsing and thoroughly drying a dado stack, and being shocked with finding little brown spots all over the plates when using the stack a couple of weeks later, I've taken this precaution, using Boeshield T-9. If the blade is regularly in use, then I wouldn't bother with this step.

Rod Sheridan
11-03-2008, 3:26 PM
I clean mine with mineral spirits and a brush, then a quick spray of WD40 for storage.

Regards, Rod.

scott spencer
11-03-2008, 4:37 PM
Probably the best cleaning method is "often". If you don't wait till things are built up, you can clean them off with a squirt of 409 and a brass brush. I use L.A. Awesome that is available around here at the 99cents stores. Extreme Simple Green works just as well (and may be very similar in content). I haven't found many things that don't work unless I have procrastinated too long. Then I use a diluted LA Awesome or other Citrus cleaner and let them soak for 15 minutes or so. Then a brass 'toothbrush', then a rinse, then some T-9 and back on the rack.

I agree totally with Glenn's suggestion to clean often....your blades will work better and nearly any cleaner you can get your hands on will work well. I typically grab 409, LA's Totally Awesome, Simple Green, or Greased Lightning depending on what we have in the house....I've had good results from Goo Gone citrus cleaner too. Spray, brush, rinse....< 5 minutes from start to finish.

John Ricci
11-03-2008, 5:53 PM
I've had great results with the pitch remover distributed by Boeshield. Spray it on, wait a minute and then take an old toothbrush to it then wipe it clean...all the goop is gone and the blade is as clean as new:cool:

J.R.

Chuck Tringo
11-03-2008, 7:01 PM
This tub (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18197&filter=blade%20pitch) from Rockler really helps.

Also, when you click on this thread to read it...scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and check out the Similar Threads box.

I second the rockler kit, its too easy and works great.

Ken Baker
11-03-2008, 7:06 PM
I was puzzled at the comment that Forrest recommends Kerosene and nothing else. I have 5 Forrest Blades and was wondering the same thing so I sent them an email and the answer I got back this morning was:

"Ken, We sell a can of peels plus non toxic 16oz cleaner @ $7.95 or a 1 gallon kit of blade kleen @ $20.00 with brass brush & spray bottle. It is a strong ammonia base cleaner like fantastic but alot stronger"

I did an initial cleaning with Simple green before I asked them.

Denny Rice
11-04-2008, 1:44 AM
It's kinda pricey, but after reading a woodworking article a couple months ago about this topic I wanted to try the "aircraft" Extreme Simple Green. It received very good reviews and unlike a lot of cleaners including the orginial Simple Green you can pour this cleaner in a clean 5 gallon bucket and "soak" the blade for hours without any ill effects to the metal the blade is made of. I was very surprised how effective this cleaner really was. I have since purchased it in a spray bottle and in a gallon container. The cleaner can be diluted or used at 100% strength. It can be purchased online or like me I was lucky I live close a small airport with a tech department that keeps it on hand for pilots who take care of their own maintenance. I have a 5 gallon bucket w/lid on it and it labeled "blade cleaner" so no one uses it for anything else. I keep a brass brush and a old tooth brush on top of the lid for cleaning my blades.

Mike Heidrick
11-04-2008, 3:31 AM
The Rockler concentrate blade cleaner works awesome. No need for brass brush. I use maybe a green scratch pad and an old toothbrush but mostly blue shop towles. I mix it in a spray bottle - works awesome!

Chris Parks
11-04-2008, 4:43 AM
Ultrasonic cleaner if the budget allows and you could clean router bits etc in it, also anyone in the neighbourhood who had a blade to be cleaned might pay to have it done with no hassle.