PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Hardened glue all over my Excalibur EXSLT-30

Sam Bhanji
11-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Hello,

I recently purchased a used Excalibur EXSLT-30 Sliding Table, but lying unused for such a long time, it is all covered with saw wood gunk and glue that has hardened.

Can someone please share how I can clean it, and what products to use to clean it as well.

Thank you,
Sam.

Lee Schierer
11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
A lot depends on what type of glue it is. Most glue doesn't stick well to metal so you might be able to use a putty knife and just push off the gobs of glue. Contact cement can be removed with lacquer thinner and lots of rubbing. Non-water proof glues can be softened by laying a wet paper towel over them for a short time. The softened glue will often peel off.

Rob Cunningham
11-03-2008, 1:06 PM
A nice sharp chisel should pop the glue right off.

Chris Padilla
11-03-2008, 1:37 PM
Start with a citrus cleaner and/or any of the solvents mentioned already. Steel wool and green scratchy pads can work, too, but they may leave scratches or dull spots.

I think most chunks of glue could be popped off with an old screwdiver hit with your palm or small hammer. An old chisel could work as well.

Ed Breen
11-03-2008, 5:56 PM
I sometimes get glue and gunk on my griz ts. I go to a small sandvick scraper and follow up with a foam cleaner and recip sander with a green pad. Works!!
ED:D

Peter Quinn
11-03-2008, 7:03 PM
I start with the but end of a freshly cut piece of scrap as a scraper of sorts. Takes off many glue goobers without damaging the iron. I'd move up in intensity of approach from there.

Carl Babel
11-03-2008, 9:22 PM
Try heating up the glue with a hair dryer (or a heat gun if you have one). A lot of glues are thermoplastic and will soften considerably when heated up.

Michael Schwartz
11-04-2008, 12:56 AM
I use an extra thick card scraper for cleaning up glue in my shop.