PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the stink!!!

Eric Jackson
11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
We are trying to do some small wood vectoring items for ornaments and such, but the laser leaves the burnt smell. What can I do to get rid of the smell?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Eric

Darren Null
11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
There's always going to be a little smell, but you can get rid of most of it by venting and extracting air from the laser to outside. You can cut down on the internal smell by leaving the laser closed for a while after the job has finished and letting the extraction do it's thing.

I like the wood smell. Not into acrylic or leather though.

Scott Challoner
11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Are you talking about the smell that remains on the ornaments?
Iv'e had more than one person say that they actually like the burnt wood smell. It does fade with time too.

Angus Hines
11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
OK this may sound weird but I keep five or six plain charcoal briquettes(DONT USE MATCH LIGHT or other self ignighiting embers or your machine will smell like lighter fluid) under the table below the down limit switch and it seems to keep the machine smelling nice and clean.

I cut A LOT of acrylic! So these get changed out every month when I do my monthly maintenance.

Jeanette Brewer
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
We are trying to do some small wood vectoring items for ornaments and such, but the laser leaves the burnt smell

I wish I could take credit for this quote but, alas, I must give credit where it's due:

Mike Fruciano (LaserBits president), at his laser clinics, always picks up a piece of lasered wood & says, "Ahhhh...the smell of money!"

Kevin Huffman
11-03-2008, 12:12 PM
We normally use some orange pledge to clean our samples, it makes them shine and gets rid of some of the burnt smell, if you don't like the smell of camp fires.

Kim Vellore
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
A box of baking soda should also work but with so much venting it should not last that long. I also like the wood lasered smell. Extruded acrylic stinks the most, I get a headache, I recently added a high flow exhaust fan to my room I turn it on for a few minutes after cutting acrylic. It almost creates a vacuum in the room.

Kim

Joe Pelonio
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I too like the smell, but if the customers don't you will have to give the ornaments a quick spray with some kind of clear finish top seal them.

Marc Myer
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I hand out a lot of wood business cards. Nine out of ten people will smell the card, and comment. It's always positive. I honestly don't recall anyone who was bothered by the smell or made a face...
OK, well, many people make faces at me, but I don't think it's the wood.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I often use one of the scented furniture polishes (Pledge, EndDust, etc...) on any wood pieces I engrave and it normally removes the burnt wood smell. I personally like the burnt wood smell but I'm sure there are probably some out there that don't.