PDA

View Full Version : Cermark on silverware

mike klein
11-03-2008, 9:59 AM
Curious if anyone has ever engraved onto silverware using cermark. Have a customer that wants custom graphic engraved onto them.

Mike

Lonny Meeks
11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Laserbits has some tech tips for using Cermark.

Lonny Meeks
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Also on the Epilog Laser site, on the sample club site, check Cutting Boards and Serving Utensil Sets the have a utensil cdr file that may be of use to you.

mike klein
11-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks Lonny,

I have engraved many pcs. of stainless with cermark but have never attempted silverware. Not sure if it engraves like stainless or not, that's why I was asking the questions. I suppose I could talk my wife into experminting with 1 or 2 pcs. of hers!!

Mike

David Dustin
11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
yeah, wives love to do that.....

Gary and Jessica Houghton
11-04-2008, 2:43 PM
Mike,

You know curiosity killed the cat. It did mine.... Yes, we have engraved on silverware. A spoon actually. It was a basic outline of Texas with a peach in the middle of the state. This was in the cupped portion of the spoon. We then put basic text on the handle. I don't have my camera with me or I would send you a picture. We did this because of all the spoon collectors. This spoon happened to be a regular spoon not the collector size. It turned out as well as any other cermark on stainless does, great. We didn't sell them for possible containation issues if somone wanted to eat from it. We could not find where Cermark is harmful or harmless. We decided not to even risk it. As soon as I get my camera I will take photos and post them.

mike klein
11-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the response Gary. I'll give that a test on some of my wife's OLDER silverware. You bring up a good point though about using the cermarked silverware for eating uses. I'd feel more comfortable knowing that the pieces I cermark will be used only for show and not actual use unless someone could definately tell me that there is no risk involved using them for their intended purpose (eating). Something to check out..

Mike

Rodne Gold
11-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Firstly , silverware tarnishes , most cleaners are abraisive and DO affect the mark...
I do not cermark anything that is going to be cleaned with either an abraisive or a precious metal cleaner (most contain phosphoric acid)
As to eating implements , IMHO its safe to use , we mark artificial hip sockets and bone inserts as well as marking SS "jewellery" that comes into contact with skin , with no ill effects.
We have marked the SS cutlery used in the canteen of our houses of parliament , we did this 3-4 yrs ago , and non of our politicos have gotten sick.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Does all silverware tarnish? Or just the good stuff? I have a spoon that we did last summer and there is no tarnish to speak of. The spoon is stainless steel. I was aware of your marking on hip sockets and bone inserts, Rodne. I read your post last year before we decided to mark the spoon. We were still nervous to sell to the general public. I guess you have cleared something up for us and next year we will be able to offer a new product at the festival.

Rodne Gold
11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
As I understand it , Silverware is normally Solid silver or Silver plated. Some silverplate is dipped in protective laquers to stop tarnishing , but you cant cermark it if this layer is still on.

Margaret Turco
11-05-2008, 1:21 PM
Hi Rodney,

I think most Americans use the term silverware when they mean any eating utensil, usually stainless steel.