PDA

View Full Version : BOW Sierra Pen

michael gallagher
11-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Here is a Sierra pen made from Bethlehem Olive wood. My poor-boy photo tent consists of an almost white towel draped over the top of the washing machine, so please excuse the picture.

This Sierra kit is called a Fisher of Men Sierra because of the inlays on the top and bottom band - due to the poor photography you may not see it.

I've had some problems with a CA glue or any other shiny finish with Bethlehem olive wood as it is oily. Utilizing a tip from another website, I first hit the sanded product with some accelerator before applying the CA glue (usually I use boiled linseed oil first). Sounding like a broken record, the photo doesn't do it justice, but this thing has a high gloss shine to it. If you're turning olive wood in the future, give it a try.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Michael that is a great looking pen. I made a couple out of BOW and loved how it turned.

Mark Patoka
11-03-2008, 7:50 AM
Where did you purchase that specific kit from? That would make excellent gifts for church members. The pen looks great.

David Walser
11-03-2008, 8:33 AM
Michael,

That's a wonderful pen. I'm sure its new owner will love and cherish it for years to come. Better still, the origin of the wood and the symbols engraved on the bands will subtly remind him (or her) of the kind of person he ought to be.

I think you did a great job on the finish. And, despite everything you said about the photos, they turned out well, too. They don't do the pen justice, but we were able to see it clearly and to enjoy the beauty of the wood and see the fine details of the engravings. Given the high gloss of the finish and the extreme contrast between the dark black and light wood, the pen was a very difficult object to photograph.

ron hossack
11-03-2008, 4:17 PM
Where did you purchase that specific kit from? That would make excellent gifts for church members. The pen looks great.
Woodpenpro.com
http://www.woodpenpro.com/pen_kits/0023_pacifica_fish_10k_gold.html

This is a great kit. I've made a few of the BOW on this kit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/rhossack/WPPFOM002.jpg

Dean Thomas
11-03-2008, 5:01 PM
What's not to like about a BOW pen?!?

BOW? WOW!! :D