PDA

View Full Version : Gravograph...dongle??

Zac Altman
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Well, I was speaking to someone about purchasing their laser engraver. A gravograph ls900. Turns out they are missing the dongle which according to gravograph costs $5.3k to replace....for a dongle....

Why do these companies have to have the dongle?? If it was for their dedicated software, then I dont care, but seeing as I have to own the dongle to even use the machine...i just dont get it. If you own the machine, shouldnt you be able to use it?

Zac Altman
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Spoke to the gravograph lady again, turns out that you DONT need the dongle unless you are using their proprietary software, but she said that they dont supply print drivers (even though on their site it says that they do have standard print drivers). She wouldnt let me have them.

So its an LS900 Machine, but they lost the dongle and the lady wont give me the print drivers. I have a copy of CorelDraw X4 or X3 i forget which one on the laptop. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the standard print drivers? I want to go in and test it out in 2 Days.

please help =)

Keith Outten
11-03-2008, 6:47 AM
Dongles and print drivers that require unlock codes just punish the customer. Xenetech requires an unlock code that you have to call to receive every time you install their software and their print driver. A major hassle IMO.

Mike Null
11-03-2008, 6:49 AM
Zac

I've encountered problems with that company here in the USA to the extent that I sold the machine and will never buy another piece of their equipment.

Zac Altman
11-03-2008, 7:34 AM
Yeah, I agree. But I am planning to work with this company who already has the laser, but cannot use it with the proprietary software....All im looking for now is the Generic Printer Drivers for the LS900 so I can get it up and running and start using it. I have no need for their $5k dongle and special software.

The whole dongle crap is stupid!

Anyone? Drivers for XP or Vista for the LS900

(I plan to use corel)

Darren Null
11-03-2008, 9:42 AM
Can you get a lawyer to send a legal shot across their bows? There must be something illegal there.

Mark Winlund
11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Zac.... New Hermes.... stay away! Antiquated equipment, poor to no support, bad resale value.

Mark

Brian Robison
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Zac, can you plug your laptop into it without a serial port? The one I was going to work on didn't have a usb port.

Zac Altman
11-03-2008, 3:20 PM
Its USB (connected to a mac w/ windows on it). Right now im just looking for the drivers.

If I was buying new I would look at Epilog, ULS and Trotec, but this one is second hand and potentially very very cheap. If I can get it to work it would be ideal for me (as an initial machine). If business does well, then I can justify a new, better machine. If not, then....I didnt "waste" as much money. The store is (or should I say was) using it exactly for what I want to do.

So right now, just looking for the drivers so i can print directly from CorelDraw.