PDA

View Full Version : Umm.. I don't think it will hold ice cream

Bob Hallowell
11-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I have made several natural edges but this one here is a natural bottom;).
13"x5" cherry crotch with a buffed AO finish. I didn't know the bark pocket was there until I started. It was going to be a salad bowl until it revieled to me that it didn't want to be.

as always feel free to comment good or bad. Sorry for the pics but it was to large for my backround in my photo tent.

Bob
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/bobha8/Picture001-1.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/bobha8/Picture005-1.jpg

Dewey Torres
11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Still looks great!!!

Nice work.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Nicely done Bob! Great form, finish...and the gnarly wood is pretty!

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Great looking bowl Bob. The Knarly wood looks really nice.

Steve Schlumpf
11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Very nice bowl Bob! Great looking wood! Would make a great center piece/fruit bowl!

Dan Oliphant
11-02-2008, 11:43 PM
That piece has a lot of character, looks like some shimmer in the wood also. Very nice.

Tom Wilson66
11-02-2008, 11:45 PM
If you eat the ice cream really fast, it would probably be all right. If not, have another bowl under it for the cat to lick.

Keith Burns
11-03-2008, 8:58 AM
Extremely nice bowl Bob. Great wood and form.

Jeff Nicol
11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Bob, The bark inclusions are great! I love the figured grain around them! I agree it would make a great fruit bowl or center piece! Sometimes nature adds such great character to our work!

Great job!

Jeff

robert hainstock
11-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I call that kind a POPCORN bowl. That's a well shaped, nicely finished piece, and once again reminds me of the mystery I'm liable to find fidden inside a block od wood. :):):)
Bob

Nathan Hawkes
11-03-2008, 5:00 PM
WOW! I love the figure in this piece!! Did you do anything to the bark inclusion--epoxy or CA or anything? I have a few cores that have bark inclusions and voids that I used CA in that the bark is now somewhat cloudy in the shallow spots that I can't sand! I really soaked a few pockets that I wanted to keep in hopes that they wouldn't crack more and am now kicking myself!

Bob Hallowell
11-03-2008, 11:28 PM
WOW! I love the figure in this piece!! Did you do anything to the bark inclusion--epoxy or CA or anything? I have a few cores that have bark inclusions and voids that I used CA in that the bark is now somewhat cloudy in the shallow spots that I can't sand! I really soaked a few pockets that I wanted to keep in hopes that they wouldn't crack more and am now kicking myself!

Thanks guys

Nathan I normally don't do anything special to the bark. I don't seem to have a problem on inclusions or NE's.

Bob

Allen Neighbors
11-04-2008, 6:06 PM
This is a wonderful bowl!! Isn't it awesome what you can sometimes find lurking inside a piece of wood?

Nathan: For the super-glue-turning-white problem: I wouldn't swear to this, mind you, but I have had a problem with this before. I think it was because I didn't allow the "wash" (that I used before the CA) to dry thoroughly, before adding the CA. I don't know if you used something as a finish before you applied the CA or not. But since I have been allowing the lacquer wash to set up before applying the CA, I haven't had that problem again. I always try to CA all bark because it has a tendency to release itself after a period of time in a dry house.

Chris Barnett
11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Anyone can have a plain ole salad bowl. Fewer can have a work of art like you have created. Nice.