PDA

View Full Version : Planer set-up w/ helical cutter head

Mac Cambra
11-02-2008, 8:46 PM
Guys,

I was wondering how one goes about setting up a surface planer w/ a helical cutter head. I am having trouble with snipe on my planer. I have adjusted the bed/table rollers and eliminated most of the snipe but I think the tool could stand for a little more fine tuning.

Specifically how does one determine bottom dead center of the cutter head. Since the pressure bar, chip breaker and infeed/outfeed roller settings are relative to the cutter head you really need to know where that point is. I would like to dial these guys in to get the most out of my planer.

BTW: I have the Shop Fox W1718, I have been very pleased with the tool up till recently when the snipe started to occur.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Herrmann
11-03-2008, 8:51 AM
I used a reliable straight edge. Lower the cutting head, while rotating the head to just knick the straight edge (basically opposite process of jointer head setup). Then moved it to the other side and did same, then double checked in a couple different spots on my General 14" planer.

Dennis Peacock
11-03-2008, 8:56 AM
You mean it's actually possible to remove all snipe from the power planed wood?? I'd sure like to know about it if it can be done. I haven't been able to do that on any planer that I've owned.

Rod Sheridan
11-03-2008, 9:53 AM
You mean it's actually possible to remove all snipe from the power planed wood?? I'd sure like to know about it if it can be done. I haven't been able to do that on any planer that I've owned.

Well Dennis, ALL is quite a task however mine has 0.02mm snipe or less from the factory.

Since I cannot see 0.02mm, and I can barely feel it (maybe because I know it's there?) I consider it to be snipe free.

Regards, Rod.

Mac Cambra
11-03-2008, 8:10 PM
Adjusting the bed rollers made a big difference, right now there is a visible bump about 4-5 inches from the end of the board. To put this into perspective I measured the height of the bump and it appears to be roughly 0.006" in height and about 1/8" in width. In retrospect I am thinking that isn't very bad at all. Anyone have an opinion of what should be expected, my former Dewalt lunch box had no perceptible snipe at all, I guess I was spoiled.

I was try to figure out how to adjust the outfeed roller 20 mils below bottom dead center and there is a similar recommended depth for the serrated infeed roller (4-8 mils) below. the chip breaker and pressure bar also have fine adjustments recommended. Of course the manual is illustrated for a traditional knife planer.

Other then the snipe the fine it produces is flawless, the planer is very quiet and the power is incredible. So I am not disappointed by the upgrade, I just want it as perfect as it can be.

Peter Stahl
11-04-2008, 6:56 AM
I never worried about the snipe, I just leave it long and cut the board after it's planed. More support on the outfeed side or a long stationary bed that goes through the planer might help. Saw this somewhere but don't remember where. Roller adjustment would help but I don't think you could get a perfectly smooth cut end to end with a planer. Just my $0.02.