PDA

View Full Version : First (new) Table Saw, new to woodworking, now what?

Alan Wong
11-02-2008, 8:43 PM
Hello All,

I've taken the first jumped and made my first big purchase, a table saw. The grizzly G1023SLW to be exact. Took much longer to put together and set-up than I thought, took pretty much the whole weekend. From my research everyone said be sure to invest in a quality cabinet saw so thats the first thing I did, but now what?

Should I invest in a quality dust collector? Something like this? http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20305
How much CFM do I need? Is a el cheapo Harbor freight one good enough?
Or will a simple shop vac hold me down for now?

Will I be at a large disadvantage not having a jointer or planer? Will buying S3S lumber get me by for a while?

After buying the table saw I am on a very tight budget, but I really want to start building something, not just investing all my money in tools.

Here is a thread with pictures of my new table saw!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94783

Chris Schumann
11-02-2008, 9:03 PM
Being new myself, it's very exciting to see someone else pick up the hobby.

What's next depends on what you want to do. What do you want to build? What techniques do you want to learn?

So far, I've collected some power and hand tools, and purchased lumber with which to make the 21st Century Workbench. See the thread in the Design forum here.

You can get a ton of project ideas from magazines too. Check out your local bookstore, or better, a Rockler or Woodcraft for some issues. Even the big box building supply stores have some.

There are plenty of things you can make with only a table saw and a few inexpensive tools, but your exact tool needs will depend on what you want to make, and what lumber you have available.

Dewey Torres
11-02-2008, 9:16 PM
Let me suggest that even before you get that fancy DC... please do yourself a favor and buy a really high quality combo blade:

Forrest Woodworker II

or

Freud Premier Fusion

either are around $100 back and MORE than worth it.

All the DC in the world won't replace a quality cut such as the very saw you bought is designed for but not with a low quality blade. (I am assuming you don't already have a great blade of course):)

IE: even if you had only the blade you could use your shop vac periodically until you could afford the DC system you want. But with a crap blade... ummm , just try one and you will see.

Don Bullock
11-02-2008, 9:20 PM
Should I invest in a quality dust collector? ...
Or will a simple shop vac hold me down for now?

Speaking from experience, yes you can "get by" with just a shop vac. I would suggest, however, that as soon as possible that you buy something that does a better job of dust collection. The size and type of unit you buy will depend on what equipment you plan to have and how you plan to use a DC system, i.e. stationary or mobile.

Will I be at a large disadvantage not having a jointer or planer? Will buying S3S lumber get me by for a while?

I "got by" for many years with just a table saw. No, it's not the best way to go and using only S3S lumber, especially without a planer to change the thickness of the wood. Can cause many problems with designs.

After buying the table saw I am on a very tight budget, but I really want to start building something, not just investing all my money in tools.

Go for it. Enjoy doing what you can for now. Like Chris said, there are many things that you can make with using a table saw and a few other tools. Some, including me, invest a lot of money in tools with little to show for our "investment." In my case I wanted to get my major tools before I retired. Now that I'm retired and my new shop at my "retirement home" is almost finished I hope to be using all of them. Unless you're in that kind of situation there is no reason to acquire all the tools before you start enjoying making things. Good luck.

Alan Wong
11-02-2008, 9:24 PM
Let me suggest that even before you get that fancy DC... please do yourself a favor and buy a really high quality combo blade:

Forrest Woodworker II

or

Freud Premier Fusion

either are around $100 back and MORE than worth it.

All the DC in the world won't replace a quality cut such as the very saw you bought is designed for but not with a low quality blade. (I am assuming you don't already have a great blade of course):)

IE: even if you had only the blade you could use your shop vac periodically until you could afford the DC system you want. But with a crap blade... ummm , just try one and you will see.

I already bought the Forest WW II 40T blade, installed currently on the table saw. I also got the stiffner, hopefully that actually helps.

Alan Wong
11-02-2008, 9:26 PM
I am subscribed to Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking already.

I don't have a workbench yet. I think that may be my first project, I was looking at the 21st century workbench. But I'm not sure if I have the correct tools to build it. If i buy S3S lumber, will I be able to avoid using a jointer/planer?

Being new myself, it's very exciting to see someone else pick up the hobby.

What's next depends on what you want to do. What do you want to build? What techniques do you want to learn?

So far, I've collected some power and hand tools, and purchased lumber with which to make the 21st Century Workbench. See the thread in the Design forum here.

You can get a ton of project ideas from magazines too. Check out your local bookstore, or better, a Rockler or Woodcraft for some issues. Even the big box building supply stores have some.

There are plenty of things you can make with only a table saw and a few inexpensive tools, but your exact tool needs will depend on what you want to make, and what lumber you have available.

Gene Michael
11-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Congrats on your new saw! You can do a lot with a good table saw and a couple of blades. Dust collection from a table saw can be complex and expensive, but a good dust mask will protect your lungs. As for what's next, let the projects you choose determine which tools you need. Sometimes, you can find good used tools as bargain prices on craigslist. Have fun and enjoy your woodworking! :D

John Gornall
11-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Alan,

I would recommend the next thing to do is to find a suitable, experienced woodworker to teach you how to use your tablesaw without getting hurt.

Abd then have fun!

James Williams 007
11-03-2008, 1:25 AM
I would recommend looking for a jointer and a planer and then a bandsaw. For fairly cheap you can find used stuff on the list and the bay and other sources. I couldn't live without these basic four machines now because even squared lumber has a little bow or it my not be the thickness needed. That being said there is alot you can do now with your saw so start making sawdust!:)

Alan Wong
11-03-2008, 1:30 AM
Alan,

I would recommend the next thing to do is to find a suitable, experienced woodworker to teach you how to use your tablesaw without getting hurt.

Abd then have fun!

I have taken some introduction to woodworking classes at my local college, and plan to take some more advanced courses as well. They've emphasized proper technique and shop safety a lot. I've got a decent amt of hours on most of the commonly used woodworking machines.

dan grant
11-03-2008, 6:39 AM
dust collector and air cleaner, buy as soon as you can, two sinus operations already, not fun,

Rob Bois
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM

I don't have a workbench yet. I think that may be my first project, I was looking at the 21st century workbench. But I'm not sure if I have the correct tools to build it. If i buy S3S lumber, will I be able to avoid using a jointer/planer?

Alan, I can speak from experience if you decide to build a bench, you really need a planer and jointer. I am finishing up the 21st century bench now, and have gone through 3 bags of dust collection mostly from jointing and planing. I have a post in the design forum documeting the process (or check out http://theboisshop.blogspot.com).

Ray Schafer
11-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I recommend a good respirator. There are several threads that give suggestions. Even if you have a dust collector and air cleaner, you need to protect your lungs until one of them sucks up the fine dust.

I highly recommend the Kreg Pocket Jig Master set. I built many things with a chep tablesaw and pocket screws -- using S4S lumber for about 5 years. I was able to do just about everything that I wanted. If you use a lot of plywood and buy some s4s for face frames etc. you can really do a lot.

I suggest that you take your time buying new tools when you REALLY need them. I have bought several tools that I never use. My biscuit joiner is a good example.

Greg Peterson
11-11-2008, 11:39 PM
You won't be at a disadvantage with just a TS. You will be limited however. There is almost always a work around or two for most problems encountered. And that is where more tools comes in handy. Quicker and better results.

Tools will accumulate over time. You will buy one or more to start, advance or complete a project. This process ends eventually for some, and never for others.

In the meanwhile, think about the negative woodworking you'll be producing. When you joint, cut or plane a board, that wood you are removing has to go somewhere. It doesn't just disappear into a unknown dimension. It piles up on your floor, it gets airborne and settles onto to everything in the shop, it gets in your hair and lungs. It's an absolute mess.

Try this. Take a five pound bag of flour into your shop. Remove the filter from your shop vac. Now vacuum say just a pound or two of the flour out of the bag and let the shop vac exhaust this into your shop. This is a reasonable approximation of what you'll experience when you start cutting wood on the TS. And note the following day how everything has a fine white layer of flour all over it.

Even if you want to use a respirator instead of a DC solution, just from a shop keeping perspective a DC will go a long way towards making your shop time more enjoyable.

Oh, and you can never have enough clamps. All types and sizes. See a good deal on clamps, buy 'em. You will not regret it.

Scott Schwake
11-12-2008, 12:04 AM

Here's a workbench you can build without much more than a tablesaw: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDFfree/011181054.pdf

Not fancy, but seems functional, especially for a beginner (it's on my list of things to build).

Matthew Hills
11-12-2008, 12:18 AM
I think jumping in to a project is a great idea. If your honeydo list isn't a mile long already, shop furniture is the classical route to tuning up the skills, and what could be better than an accessory for your new pride and joy:

Outfeed table (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-30-somebody-feed-me/) (video from the Wood Whisperer)

This project has several benefits: it is based on sheet goods, makes immediate use of your table saw, and improves the utility of your saw.

BTW, make sure to make up some push sticks.

Also, I'd recommend wearing a good dust mask when working until you get really good dust collection.

Matt

Ken Milhinch
11-12-2008, 12:45 AM
New to woodworking and a new table saw - now that's a potential accident.:eek:
The next dollar you spend should be on an instructive dvd. That is one dangerous machine you have just bought - don't let it be the source of regret.

Marcus Ward
11-12-2008, 7:30 AM
Yes the harbor freight dust collector works fine, but the bags it come with will let fine dust through and it'll coat your shop. Replace the upper bag with a big filter (a filter from a semi-truck works great if you don't want to spend the cash on an actual DC filter, you can get them for about 40$.) and replace the bottom bag with a big contracter garbage bag. That'll keep that dust contained.

Since you're probably a power tool guy, not a hand tool guy, build a bench for using power tools. They're taller and lack some of the wood-clamping systems that a hand tool bench uses. The one linked earlier but Scott is a good one for power tools. The holtzapfel or roubo are good for hand tools. http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Free+Drawing+The+Knockdown+Holtzapffel+Workbench.a spx

You're probably sick of spending money so more machines is probably the last thing on your mind. With that saw and a forrest blade you can get an edge good enough to glue up so make sure the stock you buy is surfaced so you don't need to plane it. You can get by with a jigsaw instead of a bandsaw for now, so don't buy anything else, just go make something. And be careful. Read about kickback and why it happens so you can avoid it.

Rick Huelsbeck
11-12-2008, 7:46 AM
You will need to put weather stripping on the collection bag to keep it sealed (I had read that before I bought it so I was prepared for it). Other than that at 299 it's a heck of a deal. I've only had it for about a week but it sure beats the 650 CFM unit I had before it. I haven't done to much with it at this point except vacuum the entire shop with it and I sure do love it. I'm working on piping it in along with a new circuit for it as it's 14 amps and I really can't run it with most of my other power tools at this point.

Matthew Hills
11-12-2008, 8:46 PM
Another good tablesaw project from TheWoodWhisperer is an Assembly Table:

Episode 18- Assembly Table Torsion Box (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-18-assembly-table-torsion-box/)
Episode 19- Assembly Table Base (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-19-assembly-table-stand/)

And now that the holiday seasons are coming: decorative cutting boards
Episode 7: A Cut Above (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-7-a-cut-above-part-1/)

Matt

Scott Myers
11-12-2008, 9:23 PM
Do you want to get a good dust collector first? Only if you like your lungs. Shop vac - No. Emphatically no. A shop vac produces vacuum, but doesn't move large volumes of air, measured in CFM. It also doesn't have enough filter area. Nor do most have fine enough filtration that will not clog up quickly. You need big filter area and lots of CFM.

Dust collection is actually a pretty complicated science. Unfortunately, the ratings shown by most dust collectors are fantasy island. In gneneral, you get what you pay for.
I wouldn't go with anything less than 1000 CFM and 11" vacuum. The ideal filter would have 1 micron filtration or better, but that is a subject in itself. Canisters are the best, but they cost a lot more.

Since you already have the Grizzly, why not buy a Grizzly DC? Below is a link to good choice for a starter shop, or even an advanced 1 man shop. It is 230 VAC however. I own one and it works well. I would recommend throwing away the 2 port 4" inlet and replacing it with at least a 5" metal inlet. (But the 4" will work as long as it is close to your equipment.) Run the full size hose close to your tool and neck it down there. There are plenty of books on this subject.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Dust-Collector-w-2-5-Micron-Bag/G1029Z

A equipment manufacturer will tell you the minimum CFM the particular equipment requires. So you can take the flow of your dust collector, cut it by at least 1/3 - 1/2 accounting for a bag as it ages and take off more CFM for the hose losses. Then you would want to pick a DC that will move at least that amount of air appropriate for your biggest CFM hog, like a planer. Again, there are books that can give you details on this subject.

I second the use of a respirator, even with dust collection, unless you are constantly cleaning or exchanging the air in the room.

Have fun!

Rick Potter
11-13-2008, 1:40 AM
Alan,

In SoCal, a planer is not one of the most needed purchases, depending on what you plan to make. There is not that much rough sawn wood here, and you sometimes actually have to pay MORE for it, since they have to special order it. In many areas of the country, small sawmills have great deals on rough lumber, but alas, not us.

My suggestion would be a band saw, then a dust collector that you can easily move from tool to tool, till you need something bigger. The band saw is very handy and you can do a lot with just it and the table saw.

Rick Potter

Rick Fisher
11-13-2008, 2:47 AM
Congrats on your new saw. Nice that you went to a Cabinet saw first.

(I did the Jobsite - Contractor - Cabinet process).

If you dont have a router, I would get one next. sanders, Jig saw etc..

If you have all the hand electric tools, a Jointer is a great addition. Even S2S1E lumber may not be straight after sitting at a lumberyard for a while.

A jointer is a natural step IMO.

Skip the 6" and go to an 8".

Rich Engelhardt
11-13-2008, 6:25 AM
Hello Alan,
As a fellow "newbie" allow me to suggest some beginning projects which will occupy your time well into Spring - and beyond.

- Jigs and fixtures.

Google Jim Tolpin - the man is a table saw god.

The book - Table Saw Magic - is at the top of my Christmas list.

Mike Robbins
11-13-2008, 10:47 AM
With S3S lumber, a table saw, a router, a jigsaw, doweling jig, and a random orbit sander you can make all kinds of cool things. No need to rush into jointer, planer, bandsaw, etc... unless you see a killer deal and have the coin in pocket looking to be spent.

Dust collection needs depends on setup. Many better authorities than I on this, but I'd say if you are in a basement or enclosed shop it's a pretty high priority, especially if where you work is on same HVAC as the rest of your house. If you work outside or at the edge of your garage with the door open, or in a covered carport, then you may be able to get by with something less.

Prashun Patel
11-13-2008, 11:24 AM
I suggest you build yr arsenal of tools over time. Pick a project that doesn't involve turned pieces or a lot of fancy routing. Shaker-style furniture falls in this category.

After you invest some time learning about kickback and binding and pushblocks and guards, and SAFETY, then just jump into a project b4 buying a lot of equipment.

I was able to do a LOT with a tablesaw and cordless drills for a couple years. Doing it this way helps you really appreciate what each new tool brings. You'll be a savvy shopper when the time comes to get (in my order: a router/table, dust collector, a bandsaw, and planer). I got by with a jigsaw for a few years before the bandsaw. I also bought s4s for a while b4 scoring a planer. Wouldn't trade either of them for anything, now, but building up the arsenal slowly really made me appreciate what they do.

There's lots of opinions about jointing, but IMHO, you can do a passable job on a router or a tablesaw.

I've recently been awakened to the power of hand planes and card scrapers. You can do a lot with these items, and the beauty is NO DUST.

The DC is key if yr working in basement. No comparison to a shopvac.

Ray Schafer
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Here is a bench that I am going to build. I just bought two vises. I hope to put the top together this weekend. I am going to use it on sawhorses until I have time to build the base. This might be one for you to consider:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/24-hour_Workbench/ (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/24-hour_Workbench/)

Bill White
11-13-2008, 11:46 AM
HF dust collector, and put some 1 micron bags from Highland Woodworking on it. The original "dust fountain" bags went in the trash.
Study all you can, and always stay bit nervous while using ANY WW equip. Been at the tools for a long time. As of today-----Still have all the didgits.
Bill

Joe Von Kaenel
11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Alan,

Welcome to woodworking. Be careful using the TS. I asked the same question about which tools I needed next, and a wise woodworker on this site told me:

As you build projects and need a tool for the project, buy one at that time. Otherwise, you may end up with tools you don't use and they collect dust. Grizzly makes quality tools for hobbyist wood workers like many of us. Locate a good source of wood where you live. Buying it at the local lumber yard is expensive. Have fun.

Joe

Scott Haddix
11-13-2008, 1:26 PM
I would also start watching the local craigslist tool offerings in your area for good quality used tools that match your current and future needs. You can get some great deals on tools if you have the time to wait for them to show up. If you need the tool by next week, you'll probably have to pay for new. I've purchased a lot of my shop on craigslist and haven't had a bad experience yet (TS, lathe, tormek, clamps, etc..).

Welcome onboard!