PDA

View Full Version : Mcnaughton system

Jeff Nicol
11-02-2008, 7:35 PM
Hey all! I ordered the standard set of bowl coring tools from Craft supplies last Friday. I have a bunch of nice bowl blanks that need to be cored as I want to get the most out of them. I liked the Mcnaughton over the One way or the bowlsaver because I liked the ability to vary how I cored each blank. I will let you know what I figure out. I will most likely get one of the videos that are out there. I will be in the Twin cities on Thurs and Fri so I will be able to go to Woodcraft and Rockler an buy one of them. Wish me luck!

Jeff

Richard Madison
11-02-2008, 9:04 PM
Good luck. You are going to need it, or much better - some in person coaching.

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Congrats and I hope it works out for you. I tried one and didn't like the learning curve. So I went with the oneway.

Skip Spaulding
11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I use one with my Nova 1624, there is a learning curve but go slow, clean out cut often and a little lube like silicone on the blade helps. Also, like any cutting tool keep them sharp!

Mike Vickery
11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Mike Mahoney has a good DVD to help you get started. They do have a bit of a learning curve, but are definately worth the money.

Jeff Nicol
11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies! I have been doing some dangerous coring already just using a big crown parting tool that I got from my cousin. Pretty much just cone shaped but when it catches hang on! Only once and then I learned to be dainty! I have some exotics and some nice myrtle burl that I want to core so I had to bite the bullet! I will let you know what happens when I first get it into the wood!

Thanks,

Jeff

Bob Hallowell
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Jeff,
I don't own the corer yet but I did buy a video on how to use it form our own Reed Grey and can tell you it was very informative. Good luck

Bob

Duff Bement
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I have been looking at the Woodcut system and one of the biggest reasons I am steering away from the McNaughton is it that it kinda jerks my chain that they want to charge you $25 for a video that shows you how to use the tool you paid good money for.:confused:

Jeff Nicol
11-03-2008, 2:58 PM
I am not sure what to do about the video! I am cheap and may first give it a try before I spend some more money. But it seems that just about everyone has opted to get a video. I may just be stubborn or dumb!!

Ain't testosterone grand!!!!

Jeff

Ted Filley
11-03-2008, 5:34 PM
I purchased a 3520 in March and shortly after I bought the complete McNaughton system. I've cored about 30 bowls so far and I think the system is a kick. The video is a must. I turn mostly green wood in the 9 to 14 inch diameter range. I keep the rpms around 350 to 400. A slight fishtail motion during coring will help. About a hour ago I cut 2, 14 inch diameter maple logs and halved them. I'll be coring in the morning.

Ted:D

Jeff Nicol
11-03-2008, 8:14 PM
Ted, It sounds like it will be a kick! I worked hard today cleaning and organizing the shop and getting some smallish dry stock ready for my demo on Sunday. I moved the pile of bowl blanks that need coring about 4 times! So I need to get my coring tool!!! Have fun in the morning!

Jeff

Jim Koepke
11-03-2008, 8:22 PM
I'll be coring in the morning.

Sounds like a number from a musical production...

Being very new at this spinning wood stuff, I am not sure what coring actually is. It sounds like removing a lot of the wood before mounting the blank on the lathe.

jim

Hilel Salomon
11-04-2008, 7:29 AM
Ted,

I have both the McNaughton systems (one in each shop) and the Oneway's.
The learning curve on the McNaughton is longer, but you're absolutely right about the flexibility it affords you. The Oneway works very smoothly and I like it, but there have been numerous occasions where I preferred the McNaughton. I have also used both on the same blank because the situation warranted it.
I would suggest that instead of the Mahoney dvd, you get Bill Grumbine's second dvd on advanced bowl turning techniques. It includes a chapter on using the McNaughton, and it is full of other very, very good advice.
Coring is one of the nicest and most useful turning techniques. It cuts down on the shavings and gives you so much more from larger blanks.
Good luck, Hilel.

Reed Gray
11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
The Woodcut is a nice little system, with the emphasis on little. The fixed pivoting center/captured systems are fairly easy to use, and simple instructions are easy to follow. The McNaughton is more like a skew chisel, especially if you are a bowl turner; it isn't the easiest tool to pick up and use, but once you learn to use it, there isn't anything else out there that can compete with it. The instructions that come with it aren't very good, and that in part is why there are 2 DVDs showing how to use it. For first attempts, start small and green, then work your way up. You can search this forum for other posts I have done on coring systems.
robo hippy