PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use "gel" contact cement?

Bob Johnson
05-26-2004, 1:33 PM
I'm makeing a new countertop for my daughter's kitchen. When I went to get some solvent based contact cement I find that Weldwood has two formulas, the origional and the new gel. Has anyone used the new gel formula? Is it better or worse than the origional?

Thanks,
Bob

Brian Matthews
05-26-2004, 2:19 PM
Bob,

My experience with both types has been that they adhere/hold about the same. Biggest difference was that you can't really roll out the gel. It is great or smaller applications with a brush - no drips.

I haven't really used contact cement with wood products, just laminates to acrylic, occasionally laminates to MDF, but not countertops that are "use" surfaces.

My 2 cents, hope this helps.

Brian

Bart Leetch
05-26-2004, 2:59 PM
I know the professionals are still using the original formula & thats what I use.

Remember to install your ends strips on first then the front & then the top & back splash last. Use a roller to apply it & plenty of ventilation. Also it looks better if you use only the little metal trim around the top & ends of the back splash & caulk where the top & back splash meet & in the corners with a color matching or white or clear caulk. The metal strip that they make to go where the top & back splash meet is a dirt & grease catcher & hard to clean.

Bob Johnson
05-29-2004, 1:32 PM
Bart, thanks for the advice, I'll use the origional.

When I install the backsplash, I'm thinking of putting a bead of white or clear calking on the back edge of the counter and then setting the backsplash down on top of it so some squeezes out, and then I wipe up the squeeze out. Is this a good way of doing it, or should I set the backsplash down first and then run a bead of calking?

Do you just use adheasive calk to hold the backsplash to the wall? What brand of calk do you prefer?

Thanks,

Bob

Bart Leetch
05-29-2004, 9:40 PM
Use contact to adhere the back-splash to the wall & then caulk it afterwords & you'll be fine.
Remember to roll your laminate from the center out to-wards to ends removing whatever you are using wood strips or I've even seen an electric cord zig zag-ed back & forth & pulled out a little at a time starting in the center & working out to the 2 ends.

Bob Johnson
05-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Use contact to adhere the back-splash to the wall & then caulk it afterwords & you'll be fine.

Sheesh. Talk about missing the obvious. It never occurred to me use contact cement to secure the backsplash to the wall. Thanks Bart. (Now if I can talk you into providing some on-site instructions...)

Bob