PDA

View Full Version : Red flame Box Elder

Ken Glass
11-02-2008, 2:07 PM
Hey Gang,
Even with the stitches in my right index finger, (its a good thing I'm left handed), I was able to finish turn this Red flame Box Elder Bowl I roughed turned 3 weeks ago. It is 8" in diameter and 5.75 " tall. It has some spalting also. It is Beall buffed with Tripoli and then Waxed. Your comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
11-02-2008, 4:37 PM
Ken - that's a pretty nice looking bowl! Really like all the color variations! Hope your finger is healing quickly!

Jeff Nicol
11-02-2008, 6:09 PM
Ken, I got home this morning from a couple of days at our hunting camp and was not feeling to well so I watched some football and napped for a while. I just had to get out in the shop for a little while and the first piece I put on the lathe was box elder! I love the color and spalting in it also. It tends to be very soft and tear out is always a pain! But the finished product is always worth the effort! Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Don Carter
11-02-2008, 6:18 PM
Ken:
Great looking bowl. I just got a call today from a friend that has some box elder for me to pick up. I can't wait to try it. Someday, maybe, I can do justice to the wood, too.
All the best.

Don

Ben Gastfriend
11-02-2008, 7:04 PM
Box elder is one of my favorite woods... look like you got a really nice bowl out of that stock.

Please never try to remove your own stitches. :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2008, 7:09 PM
Ken that is a beauty. I really like that box elder. Nice color.

Eugene Wigley
11-02-2008, 7:34 PM
Ken, thanks for posting the bowl. That is just what a new guy like me needs to see for inspiration. It will be a long time before I can make anything that looks like that but I sure do like looking a what the people here can do.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2008, 8:06 PM
Ken,

Pretty little bowl! Take care of that finger!

Dewey Torres
11-02-2008, 8:10 PM
Very nice... love the spalting!

Ken Glass
11-03-2008, 5:35 PM
Eugene,
Thanks for the comments, but I have to say that this is only bowl #6, which means you can achieve results very quickly with all the superb information you can collect and use from this forum. I have the same lathe as you have, and bought it in March of this year. I had never turned anything on a lathe before I started. I was a woodworker for some 30 odd years, but no wood lathe experience. Make sure to invite comments on your turnings, and you will learn much from the turning gang spinning here in the vortex. It looks as though you have already been hooked , so have the time of your life.