PDA

View Full Version : Various Questions

Mark Kelly
05-26-2004, 12:25 PM
I figured this is the best way to ask all these are in one thread. Especially since some are probably easy and quick to answer.

1) Is a 3/8" wide mortise too large for a 3/4" wide rail and stile? If so, what is most appropriate?

2) Is there a standard length for a tenon (in relation to question #1)?

3) When using hot glue to temporarily hold something, is there a way to clean it up so that it won't ruin the workpiece (in future staining or finishing)?

4) Are there certain species of wood that shouldn't be stacked on other species? I know this is a bizarre question, but I would hate to stack some wood, only to have it ruined by some properties of another species.

5) When purchasing forstner bits, what is the best for woodworking? carbon or high speed steel? Titanium?

How's that for a wide range of questions?!? I appreciate all the help, and I hope others can gain something out of your answers. :)

Lee Schierer
05-26-2004, 12:47 PM
I figured this is the best way to ask all these are in one thread. Especially since some are probably easy and quick to answer.

1) Is a 3/8" wide mortise too large for a 3/4" wide rail and stile? If so, what is most appropriate?

A tenon in 3/4" material shold be no thinner than 1/4" and no thicker than 3/8"

2) Is there a standard length for a tenon (in relation to question #1)?

Longer is better, but I've never heard of a "standard" length.

3) When using hot glue to temporarily hold something, is there a way to clean it up so that it won't ruin the workpiece (in future staining or finishing)?

4) Are there certain species of wood that shouldn't be stacked on other species? I know this is a bizarre question, but I would hate to stack some wood, only to have it ruined by some properties of another species.

Maple is susceptable to staining from wood used as stickers. There may also be others.

5) When purchasing forstner bits, what is the best for woodworking? carbon or high speed steel? Titanium?

The better quality bits are usually high speed steel. Carbon steel is another name for this. All steels contain carbon to some degree. There are a variety of coatings out there designed to prevent or reduce burning on the edges. Sharpness counts as does price. Cheap bits will tend to burn the wood as they cut, so will dull ones. The titanuium is probably just a coating other wise the price would be pretty high.

How's that for a wide range of questions?!? I appreciate all the help, and I hope others can gain something out of your answers. :)

Hope these answers help. When buying forstner bits stick with the name brands if you want better cutting bits.