PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw comparison

Rex Guinn
11-02-2008, 11:08 AM
This month I will be getting a bandsaw. What would you guys buy between the Grizzley 19" G0514x and the Rikon 18" 10-345? With the WoodCraft price this month they are within $30
of the same price including shipping from Grizzley and taxes at the WoodCraft store. They seem about the same, but the Grizzley is 3HP and also has a larger table and comes with a 6" resaw fence. Th Rikon has 2 1/2 HP. Would sure like some other opinions. I don't have a bandsaw right now, but have used the 14" Rikon and it's under powered. I may also consider the 17" Grizzley for less $$.
Thanks

John Daugherty
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I've got the Grizzley 19" G0514x and have been well pleased with it. It's done everything I've need it to do. I've resawn several species in the 8 - 11 inch range using a timberwolf blade with no problems.

David Walser
11-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Rex,

Within the last 12 months (IIRC), one of the several woodworking magazines I subscribe to tested several bandsaws. The 18" Rikon was given the award as the best in its category and the best value overall. They also liked the Grizzly, but the Rikon was the clear winner. Other saws, in the "elite" group, may have been better, but they cost several thousand dollars more.

Sorry, I don't have a link to the article. I'm not sure which magazine it was in. Good luck with your purchase.

David Romano
11-02-2008, 4:04 PM
If the prices really comes down to a $30 difference, I'd get the bigger saw. Not that you need 3 hp, but the Griz also has a foot brake, I think, and the larger wheel saws have natural advantages over smaller wheel saws. I actually have the Rikon 18" and like it alot. I bought it at a deep discount from the Rikon headquarters in MA. I think I paid $900, but I was lucky to have that opportunity and it was the only way I'd ever own a saw that big. If I were in your shoes, I'd get the 19" saw.

David