PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to change the blades in a Ridgid planer?

Michael Donahue
11-02-2008, 9:51 AM
It's time to switch the blades around in my Ridgid 4330 planer and this will be the first time I attempted this in this unit. What tools do I need? I can't seem to find any little parts or wrenches that came with it :confused:

Also, it's time to have my jointer knives resharpened. I saw some Freud knives on amazon that will fit (I'd like to have a back up pair anyway). How do Freud knives or other aftermarket ones compare to stock ones from your experience? Are there better ones out there, or maybe carbide knives?

Thanks for the info folks :cool:

Tom Hargrove
11-02-2008, 10:24 AM
The tools for changing the blade should be in an orange plastic case on the underside of the outfeed table. You have to remove the dust chute to completely flip it up. The blades are reversible, so you should be able to flip them around and continue using the ones you have. You must flip all three blades - not one or two. It is my understanding the knives can't be resharpened, but I suspect that a mild honing could be done. New ones can be purchased at the BORG or online.

I STRONGLY suggest that you review the procedure outlined in the operator's manual before you change the blades. If you can't find your manual, you can download it from the Ridgid website free of charge.

Michael Donahue
11-02-2008, 10:32 AM
The tools for changing the blade should be in an orange plastic case on the underside of the outfeed table. You have to remove the dust chute to completely flip it up. The blades are reversible, so you should be able to flip them around and continue using the ones you have. You must flip all three blades - not one or two. It is my understanding the knives can't be resharpened, but I suspect that a mild honing could be done. New ones can be purchased at the BORG or online.

I STRONGLY suggest that you review the procedure outlined in the operator's manual before you change the blades. If you can't find your manual, you can download it from the Ridgid website free of charge.

I never noticed that before! I couldn't find my owner's manual so I downloaded the pages I need. Thanks so much for the help!

Charles Krieger
11-02-2008, 4:09 PM
I purchased the Freud knives for the Rigid Jointer and I have found them to be better than the original knives. Sharper, and longer lasting. I had the originals resharpened at almost the same cost as a new set. From now on I'll buy the new ones that Freud sells.

Brian Penning
11-02-2008, 5:39 PM
I purchased the Freud knives for the Rigid Jointer and I have found them to be better than the original knives. Sharper, and longer lasting. I had the originals resharpened at almost the same cost as a new set. From now on I'll buy the new ones that Freud sells.

You have a Part number for those blades? I can't seem to figure the correct P/N from the Freud website.
TIA

Charles Krieger
11-02-2008, 6:51 PM
Part Number for Freud Jointer knives is C400 for my model JP06101 Ridgid Jointer. I originally determined the part number by measuring the old knives. They are 6-1/8" x 11/16" and 1/8" thick. Just in case your machine may use something different I reccomend you measure a knife from your particular machine before you order. Hope this helps.:)