PDA

View Full Version : Is this deal worth the drive

Eric Roberge
11-02-2008, 9:40 AM
I searched CL and found a 3HP Unisaw with a 30" Unifence on a roller stand for $800. (Aprox. 7yrs old) Problem is it's 2 1/2 hours away and then I need to load it....:confused:
I know that new the are $1600+, just trying to justify the drive and hassle of loading it.

Thoughts????

Matt Meiser
11-02-2008, 9:49 AM
If its ready to use then yes. If it needs restoration, no. Actually, if a 7 year old saw has been treated badly enough to need restoration, I'm not sure any price is low enough.

Eric Roberge
11-02-2008, 9:54 AM
The guy on the phone told me that it's in excellent condition, but has no clue how to send me pictures over the web... I hate to drive all that way and find out that it's a POS. Then again... it could be a diamond in the rough too:confused:

Michael Donahue
11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Gas is going down. I'd check it out :D

Eric Roberge
11-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I think I'll sit on it. By the time I rent a truck to haul it back, gas, etc... I'll be in over a grand.
Back to the drawing board. I know it's no cabinet saw, but I'm still thinking the Ridgid 3660 is my best bang for the buck.

Chip Lindley
11-03-2008, 1:29 AM
Its your $$$, but if you plan to do any serious woodworking you will be happy you bought the Unisaw 10 years from now instead of forking over cash for an upgrade!! You will be able to sell the Unisaw for about what you paid for it any time in the future.

I still kick myself for not buying a pristine Rockwell RC63 24" planer 15 years ago for $1500!!!!!

Rick Thom
11-03-2008, 5:01 AM
I hear people talking about the glory days of quality North American-built saws compared to most of the eastern imports now sold. Is this not a factor?

Ben Martin
11-03-2008, 8:10 AM
I think I'll sit on it. By the time I rent a truck to haul it back, gas, etc... I'll be in over a grand.
Back to the drawing board. I know it's no cabinet saw, but I'm still thinking the Ridgid 3660 is my best bang for the buck.

I bought my TS3650 a year ago and I love the saw. But that said, I really wish I would have bought used. Saying that the dust collection on this saw is terrible is an understatement.

I am currently looking for an older used cabinet saw to replace. But I am looking in the 50's-70's range, I would like to restore one...