PDA

View Full Version : Tornado picx

David Klug
05-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Check these out http://www.burnhamford.com/our_community.htm

Jack Wood
05-26-2004, 7:48 AM
My deepest sympathies to everyone that was involved in this tornado. Our town suufered a major loss of 20+ lives in 1989 and these types of photos bring back a lot of bad memories. I just completed an in house storm room using plans from FEMA that though not cheap to build or easy, sure beats huddling together in the center hallway with just sheetrock to protect my family. I've had 3 tornados pass within sight of my house over the last few years. The last one was maybe a 1000 ft away and I thought I was going to have to clean my shorts out at the time. I started building the Storm room the next week. If anyone is interested in these plans go to the FEMA site at http://www.fema.gov/fima/tsfs02.shtm
I fyou want to ask any questions about the construction of the room or why I chose this type of shelter feel free to email me.

Jack Wood
05-26-2004, 8:07 AM
Take this link to see what wind can do. http://www.journalstar.com/ If you are in a Tornado prone area you need to take steps to beef up your protection. I have some very good links that I can give you on tornados and shelters. The best of course is to be underground but as in my case I have a septic field behind my house and no room in the front yd. And the problem with shelters located away from your home is that unless you camp out in them during watches when a warning comes you have to leave your home and run for it. This might not be easy to do if it's pouring down rain and or hail. An in house shelter is much more likely to be used as ours is big enough to lay down in and has storage for emergency items and is wired so we have TV and radio and a phone in it. When it's sunny and clam you won't think about this danger and like me you'll keep putting it off. But I finally built it and the few times we've used it during a watch or warning as me glad I did.

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Sorry to here of the great loss. I was raised and lived most of my life in Alabama where we were always pounded with tornados every year.

When I lived in Hazel Green, AL...just north of Meridianville, AL....I stood in my back yard and watched the tornado go through Steagers Curve. Both of my vehicles and my house suffered large hail damage but was blessed enough to not be in the path of the tornado that was only 1 mile from my home.

My prayers will be for those families in Nebraska.

Jack Wood
05-26-2004, 7:34 PM
Wow Dennis it's a small world! I live in Meridianville just south of Steagers curve and 2 of the twisters I refer to are the ones that went through the Colonial golf course area and on up through Hazel Green. I will always remember seeing that wall cloud go over that neighborhood and then seeing the aftermath. This last one went between us and the pants barn and hit the airport with some minor damage. But it looked like it should have done more, it was lucky that path has nothing in it. Take care.

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2004, 9:03 PM
Wow Dennis it's a small world! I live in Meridianville just south of Steagers curve and 2 of the twisters I refer to are the ones that went through the Colonial golf course area and on up through Hazel Green. I will always remember seeing that wall cloud go over that neighborhood and then seeing the aftermath. This last one went between us and the pants barn and hit the airport with some minor damage. But it looked like it should have done more, it was lucky that path has nothing in it. Take care.

Hey Jack....yea....I lived in the Hazel Heights Subdivision that was developed in the middle of a farm field belonging to Mr. Woodfin. I always got my gas and quick-stop supplies at the Chevron / Exxon station right there on the corner of Patterson Lane and 431. If you drove up Murphy Hill Road northward, you would have seen the rear of my house. We had near baseball size hail from that twister that went through Steagers Curve. I worked on Redstone Arsenal for 18 years as an IT Contractor. I visit my parent a couple time a year there in Huntsville, AL and I'll have to look you up the next time I'm there. ;)

Jack Wood
05-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Be glad to meet you! Drop me a line.