PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Problems

Roy Nicholson
11-02-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm running a Gravograph LS100 30 Watt machine and I'm trying to vector cut some MDF.

I keep getting a an Error Overheating warning and the maschine stops dead in it's tracks.

I wouldn't mindm if the silly thing would cool down and then continue.

I've got 60 boxes to make and it's not going to be as straightforward as I thought.

Is anything ever straightforward.

I think I'm getting cynical in my old age.

Any suggestions about the overheating.

Regards

Roy N.

Darren Null
11-02-2008, 1:07 AM
Cacked up fans?
Dodgy heat sensor on the laser/connection thereto?
Broken/disconnected fan?
No water-cooling on a 30W, no?

Things to try:
Clean all fans, make sure they're working.

Leave the case open and get a big house fan or two pointed at the laser itself (I had to do that this summer...42ºC in the shade).

Phone support and ask about replacement heat sensors- where/how to tell/how much etc.

Is there a software/dial/pot on your machine to determine the cutoff temperature? Might be set too low. You could have a play once you're sure it's set too low, but you'll fry your machine if that's working and the heat isn't getting carried away.

Hope that gives you some ideas

Roy Nicholson
11-02-2008, 9:30 PM
I'll have a look... I'm getting pretty deaf these days and can't heart any fans running.

I can't feel any air movement by the air holes... I'll ring tech support and have a chatr to them.

Thanks mate

Regards

Roy N.

Darren Null
11-03-2008, 9:35 AM
Good luck. You don't have to listen- use a bit of paper at the fan inlet...you'll be able to tell whether it's an 'in' or an 'out' and whether it's working however quiet the fans are.

Hopefully it is the fans because they're cheap to replace. WHY they're not working is another thing, of course, but you can take power from somewhere else in the machine and put a bunch of PC fans in even if there's something wrong in the circuit board that's meant to be switching them on.

Roy Nicholson
11-04-2008, 7:26 PM
I'm waiting for a replacement one now...

urrently running it with the fan cover off and a desk fan blowing into the hole across the tube and I'm not having any problems.

Regards

Roy N.