PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw positioning

Fred Seider
11-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Quick question - moving my shop to a larger section of my basement. For the selected tablesaw location, I have no issue with front or back space - a good 12 feet both ways. However, for the sides I have a little bit of space constraint. My question:

Given a choice - Is it better to have the right side of the tablesaw closer to a wall where you can't walk around, or the left side? It will have to be one or the other. Dust col, power, etc will not be an issue either way. Blade to either side will be 54 inches, but only one side will be able to be open for trafic and probably have about 12 feet total space. I just need to choose which side.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Fred

Steve Rozmiarek
11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
I'd put the space on the blade end. May not actually be more space, but access to the blade from several more angles would make it a more usable space, in my opinion.

glenn bradley
11-02-2008, 1:03 AM
This will of course vary depending on your saw, your space and your methods of work. The right side of my saw is no-man's-land (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=56364&d=1170119762)for about 2 feet past the end of the fence rails. This is a pic from way back but the saw itself is pretty much unchanged.

In that area are my power runs, the mast for my overarm blade guard, and a DC blast gate manifold of sorts. The manifold controls three hoses; one to the TS lower, TS upper and the RT. My RT is actually a cabinet that attatches to my table saw like a left wing extension.

Jim Becker
11-02-2008, 9:18 AM
Right side to the wall is probably what most folks will prefer with the left side (blade side) more open.

Matt Ocel
11-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Right side to the wall is probably what most folks will prefer with the left side (blade side) more open.

I concur..

Dick Neri
11-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I have the same problem and keep the left side of my saw closer to the wall. I find I need the space on the right side of the saw for cutting large sheets and for better access to the blade.

Dick

Karl Brogger
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

x2.

The saw only cuts so wide on the right, its infinite on the left.

Bobby Stanley
12-22-2008, 5:46 AM
I would leave room on the left to retrieve cut off's etc and leave the right side blocked if I had to block one side.

John Sanford
12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Left side open. I have an Incra fence though, with the tail of the carriage overhanging the right, so that kinda makes a no-go zone all by itself. I also stash my shop vac under the left side, and a pair of sawhorses. Both are frequent access items, which just fill the space up nicely without spilling out.

It should be noted that I have a contractor's saw, so no honkin' bulge on either side, just a sometimes annoying motor hanging out the back.

Bruce Page
12-22-2008, 12:35 PM
My setup is similar to Glenn’s – can’t walk around the right side. It hasn’t been an issue, you get use to it.

It sounds like you have more room than I do…:D:(

Michael Panis
12-25-2008, 2:46 PM
I would leave room on the left to retrieve cut off's etc and leave the right side blocked if I had to block one side.

Absolutely. It would be a pain to have to walk all the way around the right side of your saw.

Another thought...I positioned my saw so that the blade was aligned with a doorway on the left side of the saw. This allows me to cut much longer boards, as long as they aren't more than a foot wide or so. If you have a side doorway, consider this.

---Mike

Rick Lucrezi
12-25-2008, 7:11 PM
Bruce, very nice layout, may consider some changes in my shop. I use my uni to rip sheet goods often so it has me locked. I had a 40 x40 and now I am in a 26x26 so I have tools in my storage shed. I am planning an add on this summer for the compressor and the DC unit plus want room for wood storage. I have alot of windows which also rob me of space but the lighting is nice.

Von Bickley
12-25-2008, 9:02 PM

I agree with Jim.......:)