PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bowl w/PICS

Mark Stutz
05-25-2004, 11:32 PM
I have always tried to challenge myself with each new project. We can only increase our skills and discover new techniques by trying something new :) Since I am very new to the "spinny side" that is an easy undertaking :D I really learned a lot with this bowl, but the main thing I learned was to STOP WHEN YOU ARE AHEAD! :eek:

I started this before I had a chuck, so I epoxied (bad choice) a waste tenon to it to save the height, and not have to worry about the screws. I rough turned it to 5/8 inch and dumped it in LDD. Developed a few cracks on drying so used CA and dumped it back in the LDD. THE TENON CAME OFF. I must have not mixed the epoxy correctly or something :( I glued it back on, but you experienced turners have already guessed.... it wasn't very centered. This had started out to be a functional bowl but by the time I got it trued up on the outside, it was clear it was going to have to be thin. I even got to the point af sanding when I thought... if I can just take a little more I won't have to sand as much! :D :D Then BAM :mad: I can't believe I didn't go thru cleaning up the monster catch, and still spent way more time sanding than I would have in the first place!

It's easy to learn something new at my level of experience. Would have liked to make the base smaller but would not have been able to shape the inside without going thru.

Diameter: 6 1/8 in
Height: 3 3/8 in
Base: 3 1/8
Finish: BLO and wax (I can see I'm going to have to invest in the Beall system)

Thanks for looking.

Mark

David Klug
05-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Beautiful bowl

DK

Dick Parr
05-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Very nice Mark!

Wolf Kiessling
05-26-2004, 1:26 PM
I have always tried to challenge myself with each new project. We can only increase our skills and discover new techniques by trying something new :) Since I am very new to the "spinny side" that is an easy undertaking :D I really learned a lot with this bowl, but the main thing I learned was to STOP WHEN YOU ARE AHEAD! :eek:

I started this before I had a chuck, so I epoxied (bad choice) a waste tenon to it to save the height, and not have to worry about the screws. I rough turned it to 5/8 inch and dumped it in LDD. Developed a few cracks on drying so used CA and dumped it back in the LDD. THE TENON CAME OFF. I must have not mixed the epoxy correctly or something :( I glued it back on, but you experienced turners have already guessed.... it wasn't very centered. This had started out to be a functional bowl but by the time I got it trued up on the outside, it was clear it was going to have to be thin. I even got to the point af sanding when I thought... if I can just take a little more I won't have to sand as much! :D :D Then BAM :mad: I can't believe I didn't go thru cleaning up the monster catch, and still spent way more time sanding than I would have in the first place!

It's easy to learn something new at my level of experience. Would have liked to make the base smaller but would not have been able to shape the inside without going thru.

Diameter: 6 1/8 in
Height: 3 3/8 in
Base: 3 1/8
Finish: BLO and wax (I can see I'm going to have to invest in the Beall system)

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Good looking bowl, Mark. Nice, clean design and a very pretty piece of wood.

Jim Becker
05-26-2004, 8:47 PM
I think this is an outstanding functional bowl from a piece of beautiful wood. Don't worry about the process it took you to get there...you done good!

Fred LeBail
05-26-2004, 9:56 PM
Mark, you should not be making excuses for this bowl. I think that unless you do this for a living or have turned 100's of bowls we are all learning from the experince. I know that every peice of wood turns differently and never quite turns out as you have imagined. I chucked up a Maple burl last fall and had it nicely shaped when I noticed a black spot in it at the very bottom of the bowl. After some final touch-ups the black spot (knot) fell out leaving me with a " bowl with a hole" . Probably the nicest shape and thickness that I have turned only to catch a nasty snag on the final pass! Still can't throw it out but it is not displayed with the others.
As Jim has said , don't worry how you got there as long as you did.
Beautiful bowl.
Fred