PDA

View Full Version : Saws of the last 20 years, how to tell age from serial number?

Jim O'Dell
11-01-2008, 10:29 PM
As I start thinking a little more about getting a cabinet saw, I am not going to rule out a used one. Though the local CL rarely has good deals. If I had had the money available, there was a Delta X5 with the 52" Biese for 750.00 recently that sounded like he might have taken a little less. That was a steal if in as good of shape as the picture made it look. And there is a gold PM 66 with a 110" extension to the right :eek: on right now for 1100.00. Top looks to be in pretty sad shape though.
So this made me start wondering...how do I tell the year of manufacture of these units by the serial number? I looked on OWWM and found something on the PMs, but it was much older information that this saw would be. I'd like to have the information on hand for the Unisaw, PM, maybe even General, though I've not seen one of them on CL here.
Where do I go to find this information? Thanks!!!! Jim.

CPeter James
11-01-2008, 11:01 PM
On the PM66, the first 2 numberrs of the serial number are the year of manufacturer.

ie 92xxxxxxxx is a 1992 saw.

CPeter

Jim O'Dell
11-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Excellent. Thanks CPeter! That makes this one a 1997 unit. I won't be looking at it in particular, but I'll file this information away for when I do start seriously looking for a TS. Jim.

Bill Huber
11-01-2008, 11:39 PM
There are 2 Powermatics on CL right now and they are only $1500.
If you need some help picking one up let me know.

Don Bullock
11-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Good luck on your search Jim.

Jim O'Dell
11-01-2008, 11:50 PM
There are 2 Powermatics on CL right now and they are only $1500.
If you need some help picking one up let me know.

There must be 3 then, because this one is 1100.00, no fence, but it does have the fence tube, 3 hp single phase. The 2 at 1500 are both 5 hp, 3 phase. I won't go that route.
Thanks for the offer Bill. This won't be soon, but maybe not as far away as I thought it would be. We got our first royalty check for the gas drilling (we somehow got the mineral rights when we bought this house!!! :cool:), but will still be after the first of the year. We need to get the Visa paid off, and taxes are due in Jan. Maybe late Spring, early Summer. Jim

Louie George
11-02-2008, 9:39 AM
Jim,

You might want to keep an eye on the local auctions. I was able to pick up a late 80's 3hp single phase PM66 for about 250 at a Dallas County auction, other than the lack of a rail system and being a less than attractive brown color the saw runs perfectly.

I have found the Sunday Dallas Morning News to be the best place to find these auctions, since many of the Dallas county auctions do not get advertised in the Star Telegram. Most if not all of the Auctioneers have websites that list current and upcoming auctions and some even allow you to bid online. Hope this helps. Best of luck in your search.