PDA

View Full Version : My AHA! moment with hand-cut dovetails

Al Navas
11-01-2008, 9:57 PM
My thanks to all who read and commented on my earlier post (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93458&highlight=hand-cut+dovetail) (on SMC) on my journey into hand-cut dovetails. I now would like to share with you the latest.

From my blog:

Aha!

Hand-cut dovetails that fit almost perfectly, right off the saw. Minor paring required on one half pin… One corner completed in 12 minutes.

If this is what everyone talks about, I understand now. In my previous session with hand-cut dovetails I used thinner stock; this is near the thickness I will be using in the Krenov-inspired cabinet, which I will continue at some point in the future. For now, practice to make the best hand-cut dovetailed drawers is a major objective.

Now, lest this last statement leads to some misunderstanding, I must explain: I have never intended to give up my Leigh D4 dovetail jig - it has never been in the cards. As our granddaughter #4 might say, “No way, José”. The D4 is the workhorse when making drawers, dovetailed boxes, and anything else that requires dovetail joinery.

With that clear, I also must explain that I consider small drawers a special item. This is because most dovetail jigs just cannot make the very small dovetails and skinny pins required for the drawers I will need for the Krenov cabinet. Thus, hand-cut becomes a must.

Back to Aha!

This is where I am. It took me 12 minutes to cut the following - about 2 minutes of paring one of the half-pins, with everything else as it came from the saw:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hc-dovetails-3.png

I left the tails and pins a little proud; then I used the 4-1/2 smoothing plane to bring them all level with the corresponding boards:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hc-dovetails-4.png

Someone suggested I would find it much easier to achieve good results using thinner boards. And they were right!

What is next?

Why, 3-minute, tails-first dovetails, of course. Rob Cosman, watch out!

I have practiced the hand-cut dovetails with quarter-sawn sycamore. Since I will be using cherry and maple for the actual drawers, I will switch at some point to practice some with these woods. The amount wasted is not much, as I remove the practice cuts on the table saw, thus saving an enormous amount of wood.

I believe the practice with the harder woods will be worthwhile, to give me a sense of where to make the cut, relative to the layout lines. This practice is a must, as cherry and maple won’t “give” as much as the sycamore when assembling the joints.

My thanks to all for reading and following along my journey!

Bill Houghton
11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
as my Dad would often say: by which he meant all those subtle body-language skills that we can learn by practice and thoughtful observation, followed by more practice.

Good on you!

I've never made many dovetails, and the few I've made have looked like they were made in the dark with a table knife - but your experience is inspiring.

Al Navas
11-02-2008, 9:16 AM
I've never made many dovetails, and the few I've made have looked like they were made in the dark with a table knife - but your experience is inspiring.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, Bill.

I got the biggest chuckle as a result of your comment - I never thought about making them with a table knife, but some of the early ones looked just like you describe!

Robert Rozaieski
11-02-2008, 9:29 AM
Looking good! Any better than that is just showing off :D. And 12 miniutes for a corner is a very good time. One recommendation though would be to make all the same cuts at the same time, grouping tasks. For example, saw all the tails on all 4 corners first (these can be gang cut all at the same time giving you a longer square line across the ends to aid in guiding your saw square if you like). Then remove the waste on all 4 corners, then mark all 4 pin boards, then saw all 4 pin boards, then remove the waste on all 4 pin boards. What this does is get you into a groove of performing a single task, making each task more effecient and more accurate as a result. I do the same thing with M&T doing all mortises first and all tenons after. You may already be doing this.

Al Navas
11-02-2008, 3:29 PM
Looking good! ... One recommendation though would be to make all the same cuts at the same time, grouping tasks.... Then remove the waste on all 4 corners, then mark all 4 pin boards, then saw all 4 pin boards, then remove the waste on all 4 pin boards.... You may already be doing this.
You are close, Robert.

I have started using the gang-cutting technique; it speeds up things considerably! But, if trying different angles, or smaller or larger tails or pins, I still do single boards. It is amazing how much better one can cut several tails boards at once.

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/dt-markers-2.png

Thanks for the tip!

Paul Atkins
11-02-2008, 6:01 PM
Gang cutting? This is my firstthought: a gang dovetail saw.

Al Navas
11-03-2008, 4:11 PM
LOL!

Paul,

Maybe gang-cutting does not apply to cutting the tails on more than one board at a time? But your photo of so many saws held together with clamps brought a chuckle... :cool: