PDA

View Full Version : Well I am working on the stand for my DVR XP

Alan Trout
11-01-2008, 8:58 PM
Well I started building the stand for my new DVR XP. My goal is to build a very heavy stable stand capable of absorbing vibration. I am pretty much building this off of a vision that I can see in my head and just taking it one step at a time. These are pictures of the main tube. At present it weights in excess of 100 lbs. without the lathe bed. It is a piece of 3/16" inch thick 6 inch square tubing and the mounting plates are 5/8" drilled and tapped for 1/2" course mounting bolts. The gussets and end caps are 1/4" plate steel. The hole in the right end is so I can fill the tube with concrete to gain more mass near the mounting point of the lathe. So far I have about $30 invested in material and about 7 hours of time. I picked up the steel at one or our local steel salvage yards.

My next step is to figure out the legs and the ballast box. I have an idea for mobility casters as well as leveling pads. I will keep updates coming as I progress. I have a few other ideas that I want to incorporate as well.

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2008, 9:18 PM
Alan - the word 'bomb-proof' comes to mind! Should be quite the stand once you have it all completed! Looking forward to following the progress!

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow if that thing weighs 100#'s now and you add concrete inside that thing will weigh a ton. I don't see any vibs at all. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Don Carter
11-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Wow! Great work, Alan. Be careful not to pull the front wheels of your truck off the ground!;)