PDA

View Full Version : New to woodturning

Eugene Wigley
11-01-2008, 5:13 PM
I finally made the jump into woodturning. I have been doing woodwork for about eight years now but have never owned a lathe. I had hoped to get a Robust lathe and was willing to pay the price of the lathe but... when I added all of the accessories, crating fee, shipping fee, turning tools, grinder, chucks, jigs for sharpening, and a few other items the total price was going to be almost $11,000.00. That was more than I could justify spending.http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/images/smilies/no.gif

I have researched a lot of lathes in the past five or six weeks. I have heard a lot of good things about the PM 3520B. That is the lathe that I decided on. It looks like a good lathe. I bought mine at Woodcraft in Raleigh, NC. There are some good people there. Customer service is great. They helped me load it in my truck and I have it set up in my shop. I am looking forward to turning my first wood this evening. It will probably take me a while to actually make something usefull but I think I will have a lot of fun learning.http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Off to the shop to set up a grinder and sharpening jig. After that I can sharpen my tools and then start to practice turning.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2008, 5:31 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope of turning and SMC. Yep when you start adding the lathe is cheap. I would take some classes at your Woodcraft if offered or find a mentor close by. That will save you a lot of time like myself who is self taught watching DVD's and reading. Nothing close to me with my full time job to venture to. Anyway enjoy that bad boy and have some fun.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2008, 5:59 PM
Eugene....Welcome to the Vortex and the Creek!

Bernie gave you some pretty sage advice. Sign up for a few lessons at the Woodcraft....locate a local turning club and join. Turners by nature are always willing to help others learn.

You won't regret the lathe you bought. I started with a Jet VS Mini and upgraded to a PM3520B. Great lathe for the money. Is it a Robust or a Oneway? Nope.....but it tries to be.

I just came in from the shop where my Mustard Monster is trying to teach me how to template turn some wheels for a fellow Creeker.

Good luck with the learning to turn!

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2008, 6:08 PM
Eugene - Congrats on your new lathe!! Everyone who has one of those loves them! Seeing how you are new here I have to let you know that if you don't post pictures... then it didn't happen! Once you get set up be sure to take a few photos and post them - makes for a great gloat!

Have fun turning! Lots to learn! Like the others have already said - find another turner close by and get some one-on-one time. It will save you months of trying to figure things out!

Looking forward to seeing some photos of you work real soon!

Ken Glass
11-01-2008, 6:12 PM
Eugene,
As Bernie said, welcome to the Vortex, and also welcome to the Mustard Club. You will love the big mustard monster and it will give you years of fun and service. Here is a link that will give you some ideas and great information abut your new lathe. http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/

Jeff Nicol
11-02-2008, 7:04 PM
Eugene, I also have the 3520B and it has been a joy to own so far! I have put it through the paces and it keeps on giving me more! As I have found once you post here and begin to turn, posting on SMC and turning are equally addicting!

Jeff

Eugene Wigley
11-02-2008, 7:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. I will take pics tomarrow. I have been practicing on the lathe and it is wrapped up with shavings now. Turning is a lot of fun. With practice I will be able to complete some small projects in a single evening. That is really cool. I could never do that with furniture. I like instant gratification. So far I have completed two practice projects. I made a tool handle and a pencil holder. I also glued up some scrap wood for practice bowl blanks. I will also post pics of my first two practice projects. I have almost completed a 4-1/2" X 2-1/2" very basic bowl. I can't figure out the best way to get the tennon off the bottom of the bowl. I will work on that tomarrow.
Thanks for the welcome.