PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool Calypso FL code

Joe Pelonio
11-01-2008, 4:27 PM
I thought I'd share this and save someone else the trouble of finding it out the hard way if they have a Whirlpool Calypso Washing machine, and it stops with a code "FL" displayed.

These apparently have had many issues with the water pumps going out, and our turn came last night. This morning I took it out and sure enough it was frozen. Looking inside by flashlight you could see that the impeller shaft was clogged with threads and fuzz, eventually causing the bearing to wear out and the plastic was even slightly melted from the heat.

After some calling I found a place with a new one in stock for $129. The replacement is supposed to be better and includes a new motor in one assembly.

After disconnecting the hoses and power cable, you have to remove the long logo on the front and one screw under it. Then in about 4" from each end are clips that can be pried with a putty knife to left the top and tilt it back. Then 4 screws hold on the front panel. Once it's off, tilt the machine top back and on the bottom right is the pump and motor, easy to identify by the two hoses. Just three 3/8" bolts hold on the motor, and a wiring harness. Surprisingly straight forward job, probably took an hour plus
another two to drive to the parts house and back. My wife's happy now because it was her clothes that spent the night in soapy water. :rolleyes:

Al Willits
11-02-2008, 9:07 AM
(FL) OVERFILL CONDITION

"FL" flashes if an over fill condition occurs. This condition
occurs when excessive water in the tub causes the flood
switch to trip. The control must realize that the trip was due
to an over fill instead of a suds lock condition in order for FL
to be displayed.

With an over fill condition, the beeper repeats a warning
beep every 10 seconds with no timeout. The pump is cycled
in drain mode for a half minute on, half minute off until the
flood switch resets or power is discontinued to the unit.
n Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.

Al