PDA

View Full Version : STL Rockler turning stock sale

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2008, 4:03 PM
The Rockler on St Charles Rock road is having a 50% off sale on a decent amount of turning stock. If you look, you can find some nice stuff. I walked out with a couple chunks of amboyna burl and an african blackwood bowl blank for right about $30.

Yeah, yeah no pics. Running out the door to the 8 yr olds soccer game.

Tim Malyszko
11-01-2008, 5:37 PM
Gary,

I was there last Sunday and didn't find anything worth buying. The only stuff they had on the table at the time was the $50+ blanks and even at 50% off, they still were $$$$.

Glad to hear you got some good ones.

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2008, 6:19 PM
Tim, there was a shelf where they had some other stuff. Thats where I found the amboyna and the blackwood.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2008, 8:18 PM
Glad to see you got some nice wood at a good price. I have never had much luck with Rockler. They seem to be pretty proud of their wood. I have gotten several pieces from other suppliers and the big auction site for 1/3 of what they want for some of their stuff.

David Walser
11-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Glad to see you got some nice wood at a good price. I have never had much luck with Rockler. They seem to be pretty proud of their wood. I have gotten several pieces from other suppliers and the big auction site for 1/3 of what they want for some of their stuff.

Yes, both Rockler and Woodcraft can be a tad proud of what they sell. I, too, have had good luck ordering over the internet. Even when on sale, the local retailers' prices tend to be a little higher than what you can do on the internet. On the other hand, Rockler and Woodcraft give you the advantage of being able to see and handle a blank before deciding to buy it. There's a lot to be said for that. Besides, if you find something you like, you can be turning it that afternoon!