PDA

View Full Version : Saw Blade Gloat

Peter Quinn
11-01-2008, 10:16 AM
I went into my local lumberyard/tool dealer searching for a new dead blow this morning, found only rubber mallets which I don't care for. I was heading out the door when I heard the guy at the contractor counter telling a guy "Yeah, we are blowing out some skill saw demo blades for $3 each in the discount rack if you need some..." So I'm thinking hey, I like to keep a fresh demo blade in the truck for those occasional rough needs, think I'll take a look.

As it turns out they were also closing out and divesting their stock of Amana and Matsushita blades, which they found too expensive to sell to the average contractor. I found two Matsushita 80TH 14" crosscut blades that fit my RAS (1" arbor), an Amana 80TH 10" fine cross cut blade for the TS, and two Amana Euro-rip heavy duty 10" rip blades for the TS. This is over $800 worth of blades, brand new, for less than $100 with tax. I didn't wind up getting any demo blades, forgot in my excitement.

The contractor sales manager reminded me "Hey, those Matsushita blades have thick carbide that can be resharpened many times, so don't throw them out when they are dull!" At $20 per blade, its a toss up.

Does this count as a gloat? Sorry no pics, but I swear its true. I'm going to go cut something now.:D

glenn bradley
11-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I love hearing about stuff like this. Congrats.

scott spencer
11-01-2008, 12:11 PM
No gloat unless it happens to me! ;)

Just toss in some file photos and we'll consider it a gloat! :D (nice blades!)

J.R. Rutter
11-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow - great score!

Although, I destroyed a Matsushita rip blade just by processing Jatoba. Same thing happened to a Royce blade recently. Must be a more brittle carbide. About 1/3 of the teeth were chipped or gone after a short time.

Dave Sweeney
11-01-2008, 4:13 PM
It only counts as a gloat if you take the sales managers advice and get those Matsushita sharpened when they need it. :D

Jude Tuliszewski
11-02-2008, 1:39 AM
Good deal, I like when that happens.

Tom Veatch
11-02-2008, 2:59 AM
...The contractor sales manager reminded me "Hey, those Matsushita blades have thick carbide that can be resharpened many times, so don't throw them out when they are dull!" At $20 per blade, its a toss up...

You may have only paid $20 for them, but what would it cost to replace them - assuming you don't luck into the same deal next time?