PDA

View Full Version : Book Launch, Cabin Maintenance, and Burned-Out Bearing (or why my workshop is on hold

Frank Pellow
05-25-2004, 9:36 PM
I just got back from a 12 day trip up to Hearst and Lake Pivabiska with my lifelong friend Terry West. Hearst is a small remote resource-based town about 1000 kilometers north west of Toronto. Terry and I were both born there but left for education and jobs in the southern part of Ontario. However, we both still have camps on Lake Pivabiska north of Hearst. Terry's has road access and electricity. I own an island and there is no electricity (other than a generator used just for power tools).
Terry is retired high school teacher and vice principal and he is embarking on his new career as an author. His first book (a novel entitled "Ripe for the Picking") was launched in Hearst on this trip. I was Terry's first paying customer. The premise of the book is that the Quebec separatists win a referendum. I know that I am biased, but I think that the book is very very good.

I met a number of people that I had not seen for about 40 years at the launch. It was great!

We also got a lot of work done on each others camps. I am attaching several pictures, mostly showing us at work. It seems that there is a maximum of 5 pictures allowed so, I will add more in a follow-up posting to this tread.

The three major projects at Pellow's camp are a deck on the Sauna Goti (Goti is Finish for Home),a play-yard for visiting children, and a Murphy bed. Of course, I did not finish any of these in the short time that we were there. I have about 5 days later on in the summer before my grandchildren arrive and I hope to finish the play-yard during that time. I think it will be a lot of fun -the perimeter of the fenced-in area is about 50 metres and the yard includes both open areas and trails through the bush. There will be a slide and a sand box.

John Miliunas, you commented on the orange circles I used to mark the location of the piers for my workshop. Observe that I did the same thing for my deck piers at Pellow's Camp.

The reason that I say I am back for a little while, is that our Audi is still up there. A bearing went in one of the front wheels. The closest Audi dealer is about 500 kilometers away and the guys at the best garage in Hearst are awaiting parts to try and fix the Audi. Terry and I rented a car and returned ton Southern Ontario on the weekend. If all goes well, I will be returning the rental car and picking up my Audi next Friday. Then, I will return, not to Toronto, but to Carlton Place where it is my turn to help my daughter Kristel take it as easy as possible while awaiting the birth of her baby. I expect to be there for at least a week.

All this is certainly playing havoc with the schedule for my workshop. Since my return , I spent all my spare time getting what vegetable garden we will have (about half the normal size) cleaned up of construction debris, then dug, raked, and planted.

The attached pictures (in Order) are:

The pictures, in order, are:

1) The first cash sale of Terry's book (to me).

2) For a couple of days, ice on the lake closed the entrance to the bay where Echo Lodge (Terry's camp) is located.

3) Installing a fence around the play-yard at Pellow's Camp

4) Lighting a fire to thaw the ground so that we could dig a new hole for Terry's outhouse (there is plumbing in his cabin but we were afraid it would freeze if we connected it).

5) Snow on the deck at Echo Lodge.

Frank Pellow
05-25-2004, 9:58 PM
The pictures, in order, are:

1) Marking the location of the deck piers at Pellow's Camp.

2) Pellow's Island as seen from the north

3) Terry installing a culvert at Echo Lodge

4) Frank removing the bottom part of the outhouse at Echo Lodge (I then built a new bottom frame and sides)

5) Frank with a boatload of building material on its way to Pellow's Camp

John Miliunas
05-25-2004, 10:51 PM
"Campsites"??? Look more like resorts somewhere in the middle of Paradise! ;) Well...OK. I don't really care for seeing MORE snow, but it really is pretty out there! So, how big a generator does one need to say, power something like Chris P.'s upcoming MM showroom?! :D Very, very nice, Frank. You guys know how to live! :cool: