PDA

View Full Version : What not to do!!

Ken Glass
11-01-2008, 9:08 AM
Hey Gang,
Had a little lathe mishap the other night that cost me 6 stitches and some bad bruising on the index finger of my right hand. The splint is to keep from bending the knuckle and pulling out the stitches. It is a little hard to see the broken edge of the form, but I am really not showing the HF, just my mistake and the result. I wonder how many others do the same thing when trying to remove chips/shavings from their hollow forms. I was using my monster rig to hollow out the form you see below. It is 3" tall and about 6" diameter. There was quite a lot of shavings inside, so rather than to stop the lathe (at 600-700 rpm) and use my air gun to blow out the shavings, I took the easy/stupid way and cupped my right hand into the form and scooped out the shavings. I repeatedly did this with little problems. I might add, this is not the first time I have done this. Well, it usually works well for a quick method. NOT THIS TIME!! My index finger at the knuckle caught a small rough area and took a chunk of maple off the rim and with it a chunk of me. A trip to the emergency room took care of the finger, but I probably need a trip to the head doctor for doing it it the first place. Now for the question: How many have done the same thing. Not the injury, but entering a hollow form or bowl to remove chips/shavings without turning off the lathe first? Come on, I need confirmation that I'm not the only one to make this error in judgment. (It is however, my right hand, so I can keep turning and fill the consuming needs of the vortex)

Craig Powers
11-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the warning/reminder. We all do similar things and
need to be reminded that it is only a matter of time before it happens
to us. Nice HF, btw. Hope you heal soon.

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Ken - sorry to hear about the mishap - hope you heal soon! To be honest, I turn my lathe off each time I clear out shavings. I do it by hand and don't use compressed air because the shop is in the basement and I don't need dust throughout the house. Once the hollow form gets deep enough that I can't reach all the shavings I use a shop-vac. Works for me but sure is time consuming!

Again - hope you heal quickly! Thanks for sharing the warning!

Keith Christopher
11-01-2008, 10:41 AM
sorry to hear about your mishap, glad it wasn't worse !

I use the shop vac, I am too much of a wussy to put my fingers in there.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope you heal quickly. I did that once at the very beginning when I started turning. The edge cut my little finger. Never again. I made like a little hoe out of copper pipe to get out the chips. Works pretty well. I saw Larry Hasiak's at a demo so came home and made one.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2008, 1:10 PM
Ken,

I hope you heal fast!

I use my a/c. It sits near the lathe and the hose has two homes....the lathe bed or the drill press table.

Richard Madison
11-01-2008, 2:26 PM
Well, you messed up a pretty nice hollowform there. That hurts. I turn off the lathe and use the shop vac. The hose end sits in the tool rack next to the headstock, so I don't have to lean over for it. And the hose end is long enough to reach down to the vac on/off switch, so I don't have to lean over for that. My back hates leaning/bending over.

charlie knighton
11-01-2008, 2:44 PM
Ken sorry for your mishap :eek: and thank you for pointing it out, i stop the lathe to clean out debris, but i sometime sand around the opening with my fingers inside the hollow form even though i own a which-a-maycallit to hold sandpaper on inside, i may reveiw that procedure :eek:

Jon Lanier
11-01-2008, 3:55 PM
Wow, sorry about that. I always stop the lathe and use my shop vac.

Chris Haas
11-01-2008, 3:59 PM
count me in, i'm always good for that, not any more though.

Jim Becker
11-01-2008, 4:20 PM
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!