PDA

View Full Version : how to make this miter stand up to a 2 year old..

Bob Parker
11-01-2008, 12:42 AM
I've attached a picture of the type of coffee table that i'm going to build, the "box" underneath is attached to the top with through tenons but its the miter where the top meets the side that I'm worried about. What method do you think would be the strongest? Biscuit, spline, lock miter, etc.. would dovetailing the joint be appreciably stronger? as much as i love dovetails, i'm trying to keep it a simple miter if possible. and i'd prefer not to use a glue block to strengthen it. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! edit.. its the side to side wracking that i'm concerned about..like if you pushed on the side, the whole table collapsing

Chris Friesen
11-01-2008, 1:03 AM
As drawn, you have little resistance to racking. Could you maybe insert a square halfway down the tube, and another one between the tube and the vertical panel?
That would prevent any racking, while being invisible unless you got down low and looked.

You might also consider extending it under the cantilevered surface to give it a bit more support. If there are kids around, I'd want to make it strong.

Dewey Torres
11-01-2008, 1:07 AM
I would add a solid square about midway under the part that looks like a tunnel. That would make it almost impossible to rack. If you were even more cautious you could add one at the 1/3 and 2/3 points.

Does that make sense?

Doug Shepard
11-01-2008, 6:47 AM
Is there a reason you dont want a bottom on the RH side? I'm just wondering why you wouldn't just make the bottom twice as wide and have a solid joint for the RH end panel.

Bob Parker
11-01-2008, 9:46 AM
good idea! I think that'll work.

Chris Friesen
11-03-2008, 1:42 PM
Is there a reason you dont want a bottom on the RH side? I'm just wondering why you wouldn't just make the bottom twice as wide and have a solid joint for the RH end panel.

That still doesn't give direct resistance against racking--you're relying on the strength of the carcase joints.

If you insert at least one square somewhere in the "tube", then you would have to deform the square to rack it and it would be *much* stronger.