PDA

View Full Version : Mary Woods II before

Bobby Hatfield
03-13-2003, 10:38 AM
This was what she looked like beached, some three years ago when she was almost restored, after a direct hit from a Tornado through our little State Park, after many months of loving tender rebuild. I was a subcontractor for some millwork, mostly 20,000 lineal feet of tongue and groove on oak, cypress, spanish cedar, and redwood laminated curved handrail, repair on the tiller wheel and indicator, a good feeling to see her back on the river at her pier awaiting the tourist looking to see a real working riverboat now retired.

Ken Garlock
03-13-2003, 10:43 AM
that you are full of pride. Plus everyone will get to see your skillful work:)

Please post a couple pictures of the finished product when you get an opportunity.

Bobby Hatfield
03-13-2003, 10:49 AM
This is how she looks now, ain't she a beauty ! Any river history buff can tell you stories of her predecessors,(she is only about 70) of river transportation in this nation that opened up the west.

Tom Sweeney
03-13-2003, 11:31 AM
A fun project!

I think it's cool when people can use their WW'ing skills in a different "medium" than we ordinarily see. :cool:

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Bobby
It sure does look great!
I have only been a passanger on two other stern wheelers in the past.
The one that is located in New Orleans.
I think that it is the Natchez.
And the one up on the Tanannah(spelling) River in Fairbanks AK run by Binkly.
Now in Pittsburgh, we have some "stern wheelers" that ply the "three rives" but they really aren't stern wheelers (fake). They are diesel driven propeller boats.
Post a photo with the paint job on it - when it gets done.

Ken Garlock
03-13-2003, 2:24 PM
I am sure the entire surrounding area will be proud of having her up and running.

Daniel R., Been there done that on the Tanana River. One of the best vacations ever was the two weeks we spent traveling in Alaska and then down the coast to Vancouver BC.:)

Howard Barlow
03-13-2003, 2:26 PM
Man, you must have one heckuva shop!:D

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-13-2003, 2:43 PM
Ken,
For your info and anyone else interesting in this type of stuff.
The boats on the Tanana River are driven by 671 GMC diesels with drives to the wheels.
A friend of mine Conrad R. Hilpert Phd. up at Montana Tech designed the drives for the boats (yes, there were two boats when I was there in 1979)
For those that don't realize it - when the boards on the wheel slap the water they put one h--- of a strain on the drive and engine. So Conrad designed the drives that soften the BANGING.
Now that's the extent of my knowlege about this subject, so those of you that want to build a diesel powered stern wheeler, give Conrad a call.

Jim Izat
03-13-2003, 2:48 PM
It must feel good knowing that your work is going to be around for everyone to see for another seventy years!

Jim Izat

Ted Shrader
03-13-2003, 3:43 PM
Bobby -

You must be real proud of that river boat. I'm proud for you!

Ted

Halsey MCCombs
03-13-2003, 6:23 PM
Glad to see there is someone with you talent restoring those fine boats.Halsey

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-14-2003, 7:59 AM
Bobby
When will the boat be open for tours again?

Last time I checked the Museum was being restored. Is it reopened? There is a really neat brick carriage house and a 3 hole brick outdoor toilet at the site.

The Jacksonport Courthouse is circa 1850. Along with the Mary Woods II Sternwheeler, this is a nice Arkansas State Park. (Large)