PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Pal?

Sean Rainaldi
10-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Anyone have/use one?

Apparently it's a new jig - system that you can use with your plunge router to make floating tenons and mortise work. I wanted to buy a festool domino but they are quite pricey, this is an economical alternative and I wondered if anyone has one and can attest that the jig works as claimed.

Dewey Torres
11-01-2008, 1:16 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78618&highlight=Mortise

glenn bradley
11-01-2008, 2:28 AM
Got one, love it. My results are in the thread Dewey shares here. Very short learning curve. After a bit of practice, you almost have to try to do it wrong.

Peter Pedisich
11-01-2008, 9:19 AM
Sean,

I think the Mortise Pal is worth it, but I don't have one.
Here's why: I made my own shop-built mortise jig, after thinking about getting a Mortise Pal, or if I was willing to spend more, the Domino.My Jig works well, but it it much easier to bring the jig to the workpiece, especially on long stiles (such as a door)

If I were to do it again, I'd get the Mortise Pal, but the convenience of the Domino is undeniable. But convenience comes at a price...

pete

Sean Rainaldi
11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks much guys, I think I'll buy one, much cheaper than the Domino.

BTW, does anyone who has this jig make their own floating tenons? If so, do you cut your tenons out on a bandsaw then run them through your router table with a round over bit? Or your tablesaw? Or do you just buy the pre made festool dominos?

I don't have a bandsaw but have been struggling for days whether or not to buy one.

Vince Shriver
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks much guys, I think I'll buy one, much cheaper than the Domino.

BTW, does anyone who has this jig make their own floating tenons? If so, do you cut your tenons out on a bandsaw then run them through your router table with a round over bit? Or your tablesaw? Or do you just buy the pre made festool dominos?

I don't have a bandsaw but have been struggling for days whether or not to buy one.

Their webpage says either Domino or Tuffer Tenons are compatable with it.

Alex Shanku
11-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Sure they are compatible, but you need a metric upcut bit.

If you make your own, ala David Marks, you can use the same species of wood in your tenons, and use your standard upcut bits