PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-580 planer infeed and outfeed access

Bill Karow
10-31-2008, 10:20 PM
I've done a search and didn't find the answer, if it's already been answered and I overlooked it please pardon my oversight.

I've got a Delta 22-580 13" "portable" planer, and it sat unused for some time as I was traveling too much for work and only had time for small cabinet (plywood) jobs for a year or two. I went to use it today and the infeed/outfeed rollers stuttered and I was forced to push then pull the 8/4 oak through it. It had worked smoothly prior to its unintentional hiatus.

I went to my manual, and it said to clean the infeed and outfeed rollers periodically with Scotchbrite and soap and water. OK. I'll be darned if I can figure out how to manually turn those feed rollers (and yes, I triple checked to make sure it was unplugged!!). My solution was to clean what I could, plug it back in, cycle it on and off, then unplug it and clean the new accessible areas. Not efficient, but manageable.

But is there a better way to manually turn the rollers?

Thanks for any help.

Cary Falk
10-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Cycling the power is the probably the best/safest way to do it. Don't forget to wax the table.

rob mason
10-31-2008, 11:26 PM
If it is like mine, I thought my rollers were shot. I cleaned them thoroughly and still had to push the wood through. Waxing the table made it run like a new planer. Seriously.

gato markham
10-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for roller help also but !!! does anyone have a cheaper source for the 13" blades??

Bill Karow
11-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I'll cycle it a few more times, and also wax the table. I just took the blue protective coating off (sheepishly admitting I didn't notice it before...) and that may have had some impact as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Bill