PDA

View Full Version : Sawmill creek for computers

Dave Lehnert
10-31-2008, 9:58 PM
Like to learn some advanced things on my computer. Trouble shooting and the like. Looking for a computer group on-line. A Sawmill Creek for computers.

Neal Clayton
10-31-2008, 10:26 PM
anandtech.com
pcmech.com

careful with their sale/trade forum, it's easy to fill a closet on there.

Chris Schumann
10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Dave, consider looking into a local computer user's group. Computers in general, groups for your OS of choice (Windows, Mac, Linux, specific flavor of Linux), etc. etc.

There are groups for just about anything you'd like to learn about, and the friends you make there can be very valuable in many ways.

You also learn a lot by teaching others.

Jim O'Dell
10-31-2008, 11:54 PM
During my recent struggles with the 2 home computers, I found two sites that were helpful.

Best: www dot softwaretipsandtricks dot com/forum/index.php

Pretty good: www dot windowsbbs dot com/

If you have some specific problems, the people at sofwaretipsandtricks were very very helpful. Especially a gal from England that goes by Bookworm. I was having a problem getting my Soundblaster software reinstalled on Win 2000, and although I finally got it going on my own, she kept trying every time I came back to the forum with a question or to say "that didn't work" to come up with a solution...always giving me one or two things to try. And while her tricks weren't the ones that solved my problem directly, I believe they helped me immensely in arriving at the final solution.
Hope these help! Jim.