PDA

View Full Version : woodcraft slow speed grinder

jim sauterer
10-31-2008, 9:50 PM
anyone have the woodcraft slow speed grinder (144290)any thoughts good or bad appreciated.thanks.

Cary Falk
10-31-2008, 10:00 PM
I have it. It works great for sharpening my lathe tools. It always gets good reviews for it's owners.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2008, 10:22 PM
The one that sells from about $79-99 is quite popular among the turning crowd. A few people have had problems with them but the problems were resolveable.

Gene Michael
10-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Took three tries to get a keeper. #1 had really bad wheel wobble. #2 was obviously a used one that someone had returned. Dirt, fingerprints and scrapes and wobbly base caused me to return it. # 3 still had wheel wobble, though not as bad as #1. Bit the bullet and bought the wheel dressing attachment. Wheels still wobble a little, but the grinding surface is true. All in all, not a bad grinder, but you might want to get the wheel dresser up front.

Woodcraft was very helpful and paid for the return shipping with no questions. Their level of service is excellent. Sometimes, they sell the slow speed grinder and jig as a combo unit, which saves you a few bucks.

Wade Lippman
11-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Mine is fine.
But perhaps it is just compared the the POS Craftsman variable speed I used to have, almost anything looks good.

Steve Mellott
11-01-2008, 3:08 PM
I've been using one for about a year with a Wolverine Grinding jig and have been very happy with the grinder.

frank shic
11-01-2008, 3:11 PM
get a grinding jig for it otherwise it's hard to do wider blades

jim sauterer
11-01-2008, 6:06 PM
thanks for the input.woodcraft has it on sale for 79.00 plus free shipping.i will get one tomorrow.have a great weekend.

Peter Quinn
11-01-2008, 7:15 PM
Mine works well as a basic tool. The wheels are true and spin without much wobble. The tool rest is not great, a shop made jig or an after market tool rest is needed for any degree of accuracy. Worth the price assuming the one you get is not defective as noted above. Get a wheel dresser, you should dress any new wheel and will need to dress the wheels periodically anyway.

Keep in mind that the slow speed grinder will still burn tools, just not as quick, so you have a fighting chance of avoiding scorching, but it is not guaranteed like a wet wheel. DAMHIK

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
No problems with mine. Have used it to sharpen my turning tools and have no complaints.

Loren Hedahl
11-03-2008, 9:44 AM
I've had one for about 10 years, so it may not be the same as the current model, but it has never missed a beat.

I normally keep a wire brush on one side and a gray wheel on the other. I only use the stone for rough sharpening and shaping, such as lawn mower blades, shovels, cold chisels, etc.

Even though I have a Tormek. for woodworking chisels and kitchen knives, I prefer a 1 or 2 inch wide belt sander. Mine is from Sears and takes a 1 x 30 inch belt. Belts are available at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes and even Harbor Freight in three grades for a reasonable cost. When a belt gets a bit dull, just remove it and turn it around so it runs in the opposite direction. It's almost impossible to burn an edge on a belt sander and it grinds the edge just as fast as a wheel.

If I could only have one - 8 inch grinder, belt sander, Tormek - I'd keep the belt sander. Once an edge is quicky established with a belt sander, it just takes a few strokes on a diamond plate, water or oil stone or even fine sand paper on a piece of glass to get in very sharp tool.

Jeff Cremers
11-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Add another positive review from me as well. I also have it paired with the Wolverine Grinding jig.

Jeff

Dick Watson
01-01-2009, 9:06 PM
I have the woodcraft slow speed grinder (8" wheels)

I have never been able to get the wheels very tight. I called a friend and he said his delta has a place for an allen wrench in the end of the shaft. He put an allen wrench to hold the shaft while he tightens the nut.

I have a hole in the end of the shaft, but it is only round.

Any one else have this problem?

mike holden
01-02-2009, 2:34 PM
Dick,
I dont think that tightening grinding wheels with a wrench is a good idea.
I was always taught that you should just put the nut on finger tight, put on the guards, stand out of the line of fire, and start her up!, then shut her down. The initial start up will tighten the nut as tight as it needs. Over tightening leads to cracks, which leads to explosive decomposition, which - since you tend to stand directly in line with the wheel in use - leads to pain.
Same thing with saw plates, although much less chance of them coming apart.
Mike

David Cramer
01-02-2009, 3:00 PM
I have it and absolutely love it. No problems whatsoever. As Gary said, no complaints.

David

Luther Oswalt
01-02-2009, 4:36 PM
The one I have is a Delta 8 " slow speed simular to the one in Woodcraft and it works just fine .... I use it for axes, mower blades etc.
Leo

Raymond Fries
01-02-2009, 5:02 PM
I have been very pleased with it for the money.

Jim Eller
01-02-2009, 5:06 PM
I've had one for a couple of years without any problems.

I use mine for sharpening and for polishing with the Beall Buff System.

Jim