PDA

View Full Version : Sourwood Goblet

mike fuson
10-31-2008, 9:10 PM
One goblet with a captive ring, pics ain't to hot, actually looks a little better in person. 8 x 2 1/2, shellawax finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/bowls/gobletface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/bowls/goblettop.jpg

John Nowack
10-31-2008, 10:22 PM
looks nice--i have never heard of sour wood before but I like it

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Great looking piece Mike. I to have never heard of sourwood.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Like the others - never heard of the wood but sure love the goblet! Amazed at how thin you turned the cup portion! Very nice work!

mike fuson
10-31-2008, 11:57 PM
This is the ne that I posted a long time ago, same wood, same tree as a matter of fact. Beautiful wood and I bet you have it around where you live.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57856

alex carey
11-01-2008, 12:08 AM
wow, i find it hard to believe that could look even better in person because it looks stunning in the pictures, Great shape.

alex

Jim Koepke
11-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks for sharing, this inspires me to try to do more with what I have.

jim

Craig Powers
11-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Mike,
Nice job. Looks really good.
we don't have sourwood in Texas,
but I hear sourwood honey is some of the best.
Is that true? thanks

Curt Fuller
11-01-2008, 9:45 AM
Not only is that about the prettiest goblet I've ever seen, the way you photographed it makes it look even better. That's really nice and has a very delicate look to it.

Hal Taft
11-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Mike,
your linked thread indicated you had more of those trees in your yard. Could you photograph one, and a closeup of bark and leaves, so we could get a better guess ?
Beautiful goblet, and same for the NE. you have a very good eye.

Rob Mathis
11-01-2008, 1:01 PM
Man that is very cool.

John Nowack
11-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I am going to turn some of this---I looked at the other link and judging by the bark and description I would almost bet it is sassafras====my dad has a bunch==the trees all look like native american trees leaning and pointing to water, deep deep bark, and hardly ever over 10 to 12 inches in diameter----bitI am no expert---I took forestry in FFA but that was just a way to get out of school on field trips

Jim Becker
11-01-2008, 10:36 PM
The delicate figure and mottling in that wood is wonderful on this dainty piece!

mike fuson
11-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I am going to turn some of this---I looked at the other link and judging by the bark and description I would almost bet it is sassafras====my dad has a bunch==the trees all look like native american trees leaning and pointing to water, deep deep bark, and hardly ever over 10 to 12 inches in diameter----bitI am no expert---I took forestry in FFA but that was just a way to get out of school on field trips

John, I have plenty of sasafras trees too, and the bark is not as thick on them as it is on sourwood. The average sourwood tree around here is about 8'' diameter. Also the sourwood is a light creme color and sasafras is more of a brownish color with a grain pattern to it, and you will smell it for days in the shop when you're done. This is sasafras.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/sasafrasface.jpg

Leo Van Der Loo
11-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Mike nice one, though I personally prefer a higher cup, just me ;-))
I looked and found some info on the sourwood tree, , latin name Oxydendrum.
AKA sorrel tree and Lily of the valley tree, and yes Sourwood, for the sour tasting foliage, and the Lily of the valley name for the late summer display of fragrant streamers of Lily of the valley like flowers, they appear apparently about the same time as when the leaves turn deep scarlet red, should be quite a beauty.
I wonder if they would be hardy enough to grow here in southern Ontario :D

Jeff Nicol
11-02-2008, 7:00 PM
Mike, I have been going to turn a goblet since I watched a Jimmy Clewes video, but now since seeing yours I need to get one done! Is the sourwood pretty dense and how does it turn?

Looks great!

Jeff

mike fuson
11-03-2008, 1:18 AM
Mike, I have been going to turn a goblet since I watched a Jimmy Clewes video, but now since seeing yours I need to get one done! Is the sourwood pretty dense and how does it turn?

Looks great!

Jeff

Jeff, it turns like butter when its green, its pretty hard when its dry but is easy to get a clean cut on it. Sands really good.

Keith Burns
11-03-2008, 8:53 AM
Very nice piece Mike, great form !

Jim Myers
11-03-2008, 1:58 PM
Great looking piece.

I have a bunch of 1/2 logs set back from a few Sourwood trees we had taken out a couple years back that I can't wait to turn now