PDA

View Full Version : Advice on knob placement.... please (w/pics)

Jason Tuinstra
05-25-2004, 7:56 PM
I know, I know, you guys are sick of all my questions. Just think of all the times I haven't bothered you guys though :D

For the Tall Cabinet doors I wanted to use a hidden spinner that was in a recent issue of FWW (see below animation). It was real easy to make the mock up with an old knob I had - only about 15 minutes. "Great!" I thought. Then I realized that the top door on the cabinet has a 1 1/2 long tenon that would prevent me from using this technique centered on the center rail rail.

Options (as I see them):
1 - Put the knob above and use the hidden technique.
2 - Put the knob below and use the hidden technique.
3 - Put the knob centered on the rail and use an "exposed" spinner on the back.

Any advice??? Notice "Don't be so picky" was not one of them :p

Chris Padilla
05-25-2004, 8:05 PM
What happen to the square knob??!! It "called" out to me when I saw your piece earlier!! Of course, now all I can see is that damn animated gif...I can't even concentrate on your question!!

Okay, #2. :)

Bruce Page
05-25-2004, 8:39 PM
Jason, I vote for #2, below the rail. I'ts the most pleasing to my eye.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif That is going to be really nice when you get the finish on it.

Jason Tuinstra
05-25-2004, 8:50 PM
What happen to the square knob??!! It "called" out to me when I saw your piece earlier!! Of course, now all I can see is that damn animated gif...I can't even concentrate on your question!!

Okay, #2. :)

Chris, what would we do without you on this site? All I know is that there would probably be too many :mad:'s and not enough :D's I'll put you down for option number two with a square knob. Got it.

Mark Stutz
05-25-2004, 9:10 PM
Jason,
My vote is for #3. Aesthetically having the knob offset from the rail draws my eye directly to it, somehow detracting from the overall beauty. Since this is a center rail, could you still mortice out for the spinner, cutting into the tenon. It doesn't look like all the tenon would be removed, and I would think that it wouldn't weaken the door too much. Sort of "have your cake and eat it too!"

Mark

Jason Tuinstra
05-25-2004, 9:54 PM
Well, I decided to go to the source of my grief ( :D just kidding of course :D ) and believe it or not, I got a reply. That in of itself says a lot about the man, IMHO !

Here is the response I got from Chris Becksvoort:

Jason,

I've tried both types of spinners on the tall cabinet, and have
recently gone back to a spinner on the back of the door frame. I don't
like to change the knob position, since it is historically inaccurate,
and looks bad, too. I tried putting the upper door spinner in the edge
of the frame, but it drastically decreased the size of the center rail
tenon.

The original in Kassay's book, had an external spinner on the top door,
and an external steel half mortise lock on the bottom door. I believe
the lock was added later.

Chris Becksvoort

Well, there ya' go.

Kurt Aebi
05-26-2004, 9:38 AM
I've got to place my vote for #3. It is most historically correct, but morover, I think the knob lined up with the middle rail is the most eye-appealing, so in that case you would be stuck with option #3.

On the lighter side, I wish I had that moveable hole technique down pat like you have, it sure would save me a lot of rework time! :D

Gary Whitt
05-26-2004, 9:43 AM
Option 3 with a mushroom or square knob.
Center of the rail is more pleasing to the eye.

Russ Filtz
05-26-2004, 10:41 AM
I vote #3 too. Also, it looks like the bottom knob is a little high. I would at least center it on the larger walnut panel, if not the whole lower door. The door looks great!

Steve Jenkins
05-26-2004, 10:52 AM
If you wanted to center it on the center rail and use the mortised spinner I think you would still have plenty of tenon left. Steve

Jason Tuinstra
05-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Great advice as always. Many thanks everyone!!!