PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Mill Question

Greg Just
10-31-2008, 5:26 PM
:confused: I purchased Crush Grind pepper mill from Rockler today and the instruction provided are pretty bad. I have made a number of the traditional type pepper mill, but the Crush Grind requires a number of different drills at various depths. Does anyone have a good set of instructions or know of an on-line video? Thanks in advance!

Bruce McElhaney
10-31-2008, 6:31 PM
I have a couple of the Crush Grind Mechanisms sitting in a drawer, but have never used them as I was turned off by the odd size drills required by the instructions. Have since heard from others that the Crush Grind mechanisms can be used with standard size foster bits. Also heard that Beal (Beal Buffing Systems) has a book out on making peppermills that show how to easily install Crush Grind mechanisms. As for me, I still use Chef Specialities Stainless Steel Mechanisms sold as Premium peppermill mechanisms in several woodturning catalogs.

Mike Golka
10-31-2008, 6:53 PM
Greg I have made six of the ones with the shaft and they are very easy to do with a jacobs chuck. Instructions for the ones I did are here: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=57737&cat=1,330,43243

Hope this helps, If not I have 3 in the process of finishing I can share pics if you like.

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Greg here the one I use. Isn't bad but works.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77c15.pdf

Greg Just
10-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Bernie:

Thanks - the diagram on the first page helps a lot. I was having a hard time figuring out how the 2 pieces went together.

Greg

Ron Fleice
11-01-2008, 7:05 AM
Greg I just finished my first crush grind mill and it turned out to
be a lot less complicated than I envisioned. Mine is from Lee Valley
but I downloaded the instructions from Penn State With a few Forstener bits you can do it any size you wish without worrying about the shaft length etc as
there is no shaft. If you want send me a pm and I will scan and send the instuctions for you
Ron

Greg Just
11-01-2008, 8:27 AM
Ron:

I went to Penn States website and found the instruction. I figured that the first one would be a little complicated until you saw how it all fit together and that it would get easier after that. Thanks.