PDA

View Full Version : My circle cutting jig for the bandsaw.

Bill Huber
10-31-2008, 4:14 PM
I have a project that popped up and not a lot of time to get it done. I have to make 35 spools that are 9 inches in diameter.

So I need a circle cutting jig for the band saw.

About 8 months about I ordered some bits from PriceCutter and at the time they had a large T track on sale ($7.00), I didn't need it but for the price I thought I may need it some day, well this was the day.
http://pricecutter.com/miter-gauge-t-track-and-slider-fixtures/p/415%2D9242/

I used 3/4 MDF and 1/2 MDF, I just didn't have enough 1/2 for it all, if I was doing it again I would just us the 1/2 in.

I can cut from noting to 42 inches and everywhere in between. I have 2 different types of pins, one for holes in the item and one is a sharp point. The pins are just 1/4-20 set screws. The one was ground down to a point and the other one is just a long set screw.

I can lock the sliding bar anywhere I like along the length of the T track just by moving the lock screw to a different hole. There are 1/4-20 holes about every 4 3/4 inches along the T track bar which makes it nice to set the radius of the circle.

The whole thing mounts to the table of the bandsaw with 2 Quick-Set clamps. I have blocks on all sides so it mounts right were it should every time.

99893 99894

99895 99896

Travis Rassat
10-31-2008, 4:47 PM
That's a really nice jig, Bill! I remember watching an episode of New Yankee Workshop when Norm built one similar, and I thought it would be nice to use T-Track. It looks like you're a few steps ahead of me!

Don Bullock
10-31-2008, 5:45 PM
Very nice jig Bill. I really like the way you used the T-track bar. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Huber
10-31-2008, 7:00 PM
That's a really nice jig, Bill! I remember watching an episode of New Yankee Workshop when Norm built one similar, and I thought it would be nice to use T-Track. It looks like you're a few steps ahead of me!

Thanks.....

I watch that one also, I said I was going to make on someday and then this project came up so I had to.

It is a little heavy but I can make another one really easy, they are not had to make at all.

Bill Huber
10-31-2008, 7:02 PM
Very nice jig Bill. I really like the way you used the T-track bar. Thanks for sharing.

The T track is called miter track and it is wider then most normal T tracks and for this app it works great. And being about to use 1/4-20 set screws makes it that much easier to set up.

I cut the sides for 10 spools this afternoon and it really works great.

Greg Hines, MD
10-31-2008, 9:44 PM
That is a very clever way to adjust it. I too like Norm's design, but you have a very good idea.

Doc

Mick Zelaska
10-31-2008, 9:44 PM
Bill,
Thanks for sharing. I also saw the NYW episode and thought it would be nice to have a jig ready to cut circles if and when I had the need. Your jig appears to be a perfect solution.

Jim Eller
10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Bill,

I'm confused as to what holds the miter track in place to keep it from jumping out of the groove.

Do you have any end shots of this?

Thanks,
Jim

Bill Huber
10-07-2009, 6:45 PM
Bill,

I'm confused as to what holds the miter track in place to keep it from jumping out of the groove.

Do you have any end shots of this?

Thanks,
Jim

It is just held in with screws like you would any T track.

Doug Shepard
10-07-2009, 6:47 PM
That's sweet. I had a much cruder one that fit my old Jet BS but let it go with the saw. Been meaning to get one made to fit my MM16 and I'm going to keep this thread in mind when I do. Muchos gracias.

Brad Wood
10-07-2009, 7:36 PM

Yeah, but Norm drilled holes in his cast iron for that didn't he?

I like this toggle clamp solution.

John Pratt
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I was just looking to build a new circle cutting jig and this one fits the bill. Hope you don't mind if I copy most of it. I would really love to see more pics.

Jim Tobias
10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Nice design Bill! I really like the way you have built in flexibility in the jog. Makes it so much more useful. I wil save this thread for a future date.

Thanks for showing,

Jim

Howard Jahnke
10-08-2009, 4:23 PM
Nice jig Bill. Also love that jessem fence on your router table. I have that also. Can't beat it. Where did you get that track system at, I have done some searches at rockler and such, with no luck.

Bill Huber
10-08-2009, 5:42 PM
I was just looking to build a new circle cutting jig and this one fits the bill. Hope you don't mind if I copy most of it. I would really love to see more pics.

Tell me what you want to see and I will shot it..

There really is not a lot to the thing.

Bill Huber
10-08-2009, 5:45 PM
Nice jig Bill. Also love that jessem fence on your router table. I have that also. Can't beat it. Where did you get that track system at, I have done some searches at rockler and such, with no luck.

I got it from Eagle Am. it is good stuff.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v415-9322/router_table_systems

Rick Levine
10-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Bill, you just saved me a bunch of money. I was ready to buy a new tap and die set because I was going to build Norm's circle cutting jig and drill and tap my BS. Now I think I'll build your design. Now all I need is the track and some MDF, I already have the clamps and the set screws.

Wes Grass
10-09-2009, 2:24 AM
That's pretty slick. Another clever design is the one Felder sells. It swings in to the blade so there's no futzing around getting up to the line. A little more complicated but shouldn't be all that hard to copy.

Click through 'Shop', 'Accessories', 'Machine Accessories', 'Shaping Accessories' and down to 'Circle Cutting Device' for a couple pic's.

Gregg Feldstone
10-09-2009, 2:35 AM
I built one out of Popular Woodworking's "Best Jigs and Fixtures...." Mine has a wooden miter bar that I had to size for my odd Italian miter slot. The jig has to be pushed into place to start the cut. How does your jig achieve this?
I will be taking your idea for the clamps to use on mine....tired of reaching for the quick grips. Thanks!!

Jim Eller
10-10-2009, 7:56 AM
Bill,

Looks like reviving this became popular.

Please excuse my thick head, but I still don't understand the sliding mechanism from the pictures. What's inside the T-track that slides? From the pic, I thought the whole T-track slid, but if it's screwed down in the normal matter, that's out.

Thanks,
Jim

Tony Bilello
10-10-2009, 8:52 AM
I made one very similar to that about 25 years ago and it worked fine. I also made a similar set-up on my edge sander to finish sand the edges. That takes literally seconds to do.
The T track and slides are so rediculously cheap for what you are getting that I rate them as one of the greatest inventions since the do-nut. Since I started using them, I replaced all of my wooden slides on all of my jigs with the aluminum ones. better slideing, adjustable tension in the track and no binding in humid weather.

Jim Eller
10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
OK! The light finally came on when I went back to the Eagle America website.

Jim

Bill Huber
10-10-2009, 2:18 PM
Bill,

Looks like reviving this became popular.

Please excuse my thick head, but I still don't understand the sliding mechanism from the pictures. What's inside the T-track that slides? From the pic, I thought the whole T-track slid, but if it's screwed down in the normal matter, that's out.

Thanks,
Jim

Go look at the track I used and Eagle.
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v415-9322/router_table_systems

This image is from their site.

The A part is the track and it is screwed to the MDF with flat head screws.

The B part is what moves and can be locked down with a set screw or a knob like they show, I use a knob some times and a set screw other times.

Jim Eller
10-10-2009, 5:23 PM
Bill,

Thanks and forgive me, I'm old.

When I went back to the site the third time, I realized what I was looking at. I see they have a narrow version also but about the same price.

I called Eagle America today to see what the 24" Track and Slider Package" was but they are only taking orders today.

With shipping the combo runs about $20 a foot, but it's for a good cause. :)

Thanks for tolerating.

Jim

Josiah Bartlett
10-11-2009, 12:21 AM
You may want to put an outrigger leg on that table for heavy stuff so you don't break your trunnion.

Nice idea with the clamps.

Phil Nuccio
10-11-2009, 8:38 AM

I think this is the track he used...

If so here is where I found it....

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2014&source=googlelps