PDA

View Full Version : Heat transfer onto acrylic?

Ben Fenton
10-31-2008, 4:14 PM
Hi folks

Been lurking around these forums for a while now getting many a useful hint but now I have a question for you lazer experts

Basically, is there a 'transfer' material available that, put simply, you lay onto a sheet of acrylic, and then use the heat of a lazer to transfer an image permanently into the acrylic?

So, lets say I want to make a house number sign using a clear piece of acrylic, with the house number transfered onto/into it.

I would lazer cut the acrylic to shape, then place the transfer sheet on top of it (or maybe a transfer spray?). Then, I would send a rastered image of the house number to the lazer which would then work its magic and transfer the image onto the lazer....

Hmmm, hope i'm making sense. So, anyone no of such a thing?

Thanks a lot

Joe Pelonio
10-31-2008, 4:44 PM
There is such a thing made for laser printers, where the heat transfers a color onto paper. For what you are talking about I know of no such thing, but there are many alternatives. You can use the laser to cut the number using laserlites, cut a mask/stencil and spray paint, cut thinner acrylic and glue on, or just use vinyl lettering.

Ben Fenton
10-31-2008, 4:58 PM
Thanks for that Joe

I think i'll give the thinner acrylic option a go

Its a shame it doesnt exist though, because i've seen the spray that you use on metals which when 'activated' by the heat of the lazer, gives a great black etch effect of what ever you send to the lazer. Any unused spray is then simply wiped off.

So what would be the best thin plastic to use then do you think. Ideally its got to be no more than a millimeter thick so as not to pretrude off the clear plastic too much, and have a good finish and edge quality after being lazered.

Perhaps vacuum forming plastic?

Thanks again

Joe Pelonio
10-31-2008, 5:34 PM
Most people like the classier look of thick letters, for example 1/8" mounted onto 1/4". If you ant thin then use the Rowmark ADA alternative material.
That's 1/32" thick and solid color all the way through.

Dave Johnson29
11-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Basically, is there a 'transfer' material available that, put simply, you lay onto a sheet of acrylic, and then use the heat of a lazer to transfer an image permanently into the acrylic?

Hi Ben,

Just stumbled on to this for glass, I wonder how it would work for acrylic.

http://www.ferro.com/Our+Products/Glass/Products+and+Markets/CerMark/Products/RD-6018+Black.htm

Mike Null
11-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Dave

This is the parent company of Cermark/Thermark and the material is not for plastics.

Joe has explained the best options although CLTT will work also. (color laser toner transfer) It is somewhat difficult to achieve a saleable result.

Dave Johnson29
11-01-2008, 12:53 PM
This is the parent company of Cermark/Thermark and the material is not for plastics.

Hi Mike,

I am still a very basic newbie at this so was just tossing the suggestion in.

Thanks

Richard Rumancik
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Ben, I have seen one reference on the net to something that looked like a combination of laser marking and hot stamping, but can't find the link right now. It wasn't clear to me at the time that they had a viable product or whether this was a conceptual design. The hurdle that must be overcome is the lack of pressure when laser marking. Hot stamping uses heat, pressure, and time to transfer an image. With laser you have minimal or zero pressure and negligible time (dwell) of the heat source. The product I saw claimed that the heat caused some kind of sputtering effect.

I think various companies are working on coatings for plastics that work like Cermark, but so far I have not seen much in the way of commercially available products for the laser marking business.

This type of product would be useful in the laser marking field for logos, promotional products, etc, but I don't think it would be practicable for large graphics like house numbers. It takes far too long to raster a 3" or 4" number when you can vector cut it in a fraction of the time. If all you want is a solid color I would vector cut it and apply it to the backer. As Joe mentioned, the layered look tends to have a classier appearance. If you want a thin appearance you could look at the Rowmark products. Some of these are two-tone for raster marking but could be used as an applique. I don't know why you want to limit thickness to 1mm though. There are many more products available in ~1.5mm (.062"). Solid acrylic is difficult to get in 1mm thick sheets.

Another option - if you don't have a cutter/plotter you could apply signmaker's mylar and kiss-cut through the film and then weed in place. Some people on this forum won't cut vinyl PSA film due to HCl generation/corrosion/toxicity issues but others feel the amount of vinyl being cut is negligible; you will have to decide yourself. Proper ventilation is key in all cases.