PDA

View Full Version : Going back to work

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-25-2004, 7:10 PM
With mixed emotions, I'm publicly announcing my return to a 'real' job. :(

After four and half years of woodworking full time for somebody else instead of dedicating myself to my own fledgling business, I find myself completely unmotivated in either direction. It's not fun anymore...and whether it's for them or me doesn't seem to matter...I'm burned out. A few of you know from private conversations that it's much more complicated, but the end result is the same. I'm tired.

When I made the jump to WW fulltime, the circumstances were 'right'. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. I wasn't happy in my 'real' job, and the part-time woodworking was nearing 40 hours a week. I had an opportunity to turn the alarm clock off and do what I'd wanted to do for years. I knew I'd always wonder if I'd made the right choice if I didn't take the plunge...and given the same situation, I'd probably do it again.

A while back the folks I used to work with contacted me about an upcoming opening...and the call came when I was near the end of my rope and ready to start looking at Home Depot. :eek: LOML is close to being able to support us, but does look to me for a few hundred dollars a month. I've made plenty of money the past 4 years (and still could), but I'm no longer willing to be the 'labor' while somebody else reaps the benefits.

I'm not giving up...but I can spend as much time on my own stuff with a real job as I do now...so the decision is made. Starting tomorrow night I'm a computer geek again. :) or maybe :( .... :confused:

Wish me luck!

KC

Bruce Page
05-25-2004, 7:16 PM
Hang in there KC. Like you said, things happen for a reason. I hope you continue to produce the beautiful furniture but only when you want to.

Chris Padilla
05-25-2004, 7:33 PM
*sniff*...but you'll continue to be Mr. Mesquite to all of us...no matter what! Well wishes to you, KC...forge ahead!! "Life" comes from the decisions we make!

John Haylow
05-25-2004, 8:04 PM
KC.

I admire your courage and I would like to wish you all the best in your new job.

Regards,

John

Ian Barley
05-25-2004, 8:14 PM
I guess that I'm sorry that it didn't work out the way you wanted and glad that you have found another path.

I always admire the pictures of your work. You clearly have a feel for your material and a great eye for style and proportion. I hope that you now get back to having fun and making dust.

Regards

Jerry Todd
05-25-2004, 8:36 PM
KC, I believe that when things happen it's for a purpose. Wish you the best. Go with your instincts.
Jerry :)

Jim Becker
05-25-2004, 9:06 PM
KC, there is no harm in doing what you need to do. When it's no longer fun and demotivates you from the important things, change is a good thing. And, as you say, you can spend your free time pursuing the woodworking things you really want to! That's right by me. :) And plenty of us are computer/telecommunications geeks who pursue woodworking for "mental health"...oh, ok. Fun.:D

Phil Phelps
05-26-2004, 8:20 AM
Just make sure you set your alarm clock for the Dallas BarBQ this fall.

Todd Burch
05-26-2004, 8:26 AM
KC, being burnt out in ANY job is not good. I worked burnt-out for several years, and life is too short to spend any time in burnt-out mode.

I wish you the best in whatever endeavour you choose, and when woodworking becomes fun again for you, I'm sure we'll see you 'round the creek.

Steve Jenkins
05-26-2004, 8:39 AM
Good paycheck,good hours, free time. Glad things are going your way, although on a different path for now. Steve

Wes Bischel
05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
KC,
Don't forget - they came looking for you and made the offer. That's got to make you feel good!

Now you can concentrate on the fun WW projects.

Good luck, Wes

Ted Shrader
05-26-2004, 12:50 PM
KC -

Good choice. As you said, things happen for a reason. It was time to prioirtize again and it sounds like you did.

Regards,
Ted

Jason Roehl
05-26-2004, 8:31 PM
We all wish you well in your new chapter in life, KC, and I personally hope you quickly recover from "burnt-out" mode, and can soon enjoy woodworking again.

Ed Falis
05-27-2004, 4:56 PM
Kirk/KC

So it goes sometimes. Best wishes on the geek express (that's where I live, too). If it gives you back the enjoyment, that's what matters.

- Ed

Bill Ryall
05-27-2004, 6:57 PM
Good luck!

I just did the same thing- sold my soul back to the corporate beast. Much as I loved WW'ing and being self employed, I was working way too hard for way too little money. At least now the WW'ing is fun again- my projects, no cranky customers and no deadlines...

Bill R, a corporate schmuck somewhere in Maine

Tom Sweeney
05-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Good luck with the Geek job & I hope you can get back to having fun while WW'ing. As others have said you sure do make purty stuff - but if it aint fun what's the sense. I feel for you as I'm going through some similar (but a bit different) things myself & when a door opens sometimes you just have to take it. Or as a wise old philosopher once said "when you come to a fork in the road. . . take it" ;)

Good luck with all your future endeavors.

Mark Singer
05-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Good luck! Think positive and make great things happen! You can do it....

aurelio alarcon
05-28-2004, 1:06 AM
Everything that should be said to you has already been said by everyone else. So I will just say "Yeah, what they said".

Kelly C. Hanna
05-28-2004, 8:11 AM
I almost did the same thing years ago...luckily the call I got was for a house remodeling job with me as the GC. I no longer do that, but it was enough to get me to hang out the shingle.

Best of luck to you. I know the next time you venture off it'll be for yourself. Working wood for others is a tough row.

Tyler Howell
05-28-2004, 8:26 AM
My shrink would have a field day with this, but I have refused to persue a couple of long time passions for fear I wouldn't like them anymore when they are saddled with a buget, time table, and deadlines.

For me passion doesn't mean talent. I'm pretty confident I only have the first one. I run home to my guitar, can't wait to get to the shop, jot down notes on projects during my free time at work. Where as I don't do much of that on my work. I like, do pretty good and am challenged by my job not to mention it pays the bills. The last I need. the rest are all bennies
The very best to you on your new adventure.
Fairwinds.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-28-2004, 1:08 PM
KC,
Go for it! Life is a series of decisions! You make them and get on with it. Learn from each but don't look back! Your right, things are for a purpose! When something becomes a chore or a bore.....it's time for a change! Good luck!

Jerry Olexa
05-28-2004, 9:27 PM
Much wisdom has already been said here, But life is always full of choices and it sounds like you made the right one! Your decision is based on your priorities and your values, When something you enjoy normally is turned into drudgery, it is time to evaluate! You did and took appropiate steps based on your mature and sound judgement. Enjoy your new journey! Remember most jobs are simply a means tp provide you w the income necessary to meet your everyday needs as well as what you really ENJOY!! Good move!

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the supportive comments. :o

Those of you that 'know' me well probably remember how happy I was at the beginning of the ride...so it wasn't an easy choice to give it up...but it's a load off my mind to have it over and done with.

I've got one fairly large order I've been putting off due to the 'burnout', but I'm already starting to feel better about getting started on it.

Happy and safe weekend to all...I'll be thinking about you when I'm at WORK tonight. :rolleyes:

KC

John Miliunas
05-29-2004, 1:34 PM
Kirk, I kind of know where you're coming from. I've enjoys computers from Day-1. Used to build all kinds of them. At our old house, my "computer room" was dubbed by my friends as "Mini-NASA". :rolleyes: But alas, that's also what I do for a living and, after spending 8+ hours/day at work doing it, the fun was disappearing. That's when I decided to pursue my WW more diligently. Now, don't get me wrong. I still enjoy computers and find them as a very useful *tool*. But now, they are simply a means to an end. I guess that's what the WW became to you and that's not fun. Maybe now, you'll be able to start making some sawdust again for the fun of it, on your terms and when the time feels right to do so. Even if you're not active in WW, stop by and drop us a line, anyway. We're friends here and that doesn't stop at WW! :) Best of luck to you, Kirk! :cool:

Rob Russell
05-30-2004, 6:59 AM
KC,

I'm another of those "geek by day" folks - in fact, I work with what some consider to be the geekiest folks on earth - actuaries.

While I find having a computer at home a requirement, I don't program for enjoyment. Nor do I setup "triangles" (the data we worth with) or play with the other stuff I do professionally. I may take work home, but that's limited to writing documents or some spreadsheet analysis I can do using Excel.

Playtime is playtime. We need that shift in focus to help ourselves stay sharp overall.

While it may have been a difficult decision to go back to work, in the long run you'll enjoy ww'g more and that's great.

Hope everything works out for you.

Rob

Waymon Campbell
05-30-2004, 8:30 AM
KC - The others had said it all. I wish you the best in going back to work, and I hope you can return to WW'ing with a renewed vigor at some time. I actually had the reverse of your situation. I am another computer geek who used to put in my 8hrs "on the job" and then would come home and put in another 8hrs at home. Well, that was just crazy... I turned to WW'ing to allow me a creative outlet and now as John said, computers are just a tool to get something done. Recently I have begun using my computer to create video presentations for my church using WMM2 and a digital camcorder. It allows me some creativity and is fun.

Good luck...

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi Buddy,

I come her seldom, but to read your post I know I have to say a few words. For the past 4 years you have been an inspiration to many of us, you have made some incredible furniture. I have alsways enjoyed viewing your work and hearing about the odd story of router tossing....to say the journey was well taken is in my mind an understatement. I wish you well as you take a break, going back to others schedules and timelines will not be so easy I imagine, but the continued work now is for your self in the shop, you have earned a round of applause!!

:)

Take care,
Jim

Doug Keener
05-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey KC! No matter whether it's a hobby or whatever, when it becomes work it's that four letter word all over again. Good luck and don't stay away from the Creek just because your changing your major.

When I retired and moved to Las Vegas, I had always wanted to do woodworking for profit. Right up front I said I'm going to do it at my schedule and let the customer know it will be at my pace not there's. Even then I find I don't have time to do the 'tinkering' type of things I like to do.

Now you'll have time to come back and visit Vegas and see what's happened without having to think about that project that you 'have' to get done.

Good Luck,

Doug Keener