PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 Baltic Birch

Dave Rawn
10-31-2008, 3:11 PM
I bought 60 sheets of this plywood for a pretty good price. When I started to cut this stuff it cuts really bad. Can any one figure out the grade or any other information by this mark on the plywood. I forgot to mention that the wood is cut with a laser that is listed below. Sorry about that. What I need is the information about the wood.

Thanks
Dave

Michael Kowalczyk
10-31-2008, 3:33 PM
Hey Dave,
Are there any more stencils on the side? That one is not a standard one I see. Baltic birch will have writing on the side and it will be in Russian. It will tell you the Mill name and #, and what the grade is and usually the date it was crated.
Show me a piece of one that you have cut and what the problem is. Hard to tell with out seeing it. Several factors will come in to play.
#1. What kind of table saw you have? Is it a standard one you can get at the Big box stores or is it an industrial sliding table with a scoring blade?
#2 How many teeth blade are you using? is it an ATP or triple chip? How sharp is it and does it have carbide teeth?
#3 Are you cutting with the grain or crossgrain?
#4 Are you pushing it through fast or medium?
#5 Is there tearout on the top, bottom, or both?
#6 Are you trying to do this as a 1 person or 2 person operation? 2 is always better with thin material.
#7 Please check the actual sheet for a stamp in the corner around 2" diameter. Look on both sides. This will also tell you about the grade of material. If the picture you posted is it, then it may not be genuine Baltic birch.

PM me your phone # if you want to talk in more detail.

Let me know if i can help and ...

Stanley Waldrup
10-31-2008, 8:26 PM
I just went through 20 sheets of the junk with the same grade. I had more problems with it then any other I had bought. Had the same stamp. I even had some of the layers come apart after cutting. But I was a new guy at the time and did not understand What to look for. From what I was told is that it is a grade from China with a poor grade of glue. I lost a lot of products due to it hitting strange pockets in the middle layers and not cutting all the way through. It was like a hard pocket. The laser would even put out a Bright spot when it ran across them. It was even harder to clean up with the denatured alcohol. I have since switched to another supplier in Toledo, Oh and he was well informed on the stamp and he only handles the Russian Brand and. Great stuff, Cuts clean and 95% of the time all the way through. I think the other 5% is from me shooting for speed and clean cuts. I will try to get a picture of the Stamp on what I bought to show you.
Stanley