PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2008, 1:50 PM
Well I did get some turning done the last couple of weeks. This is a bottle stopper I turned from Arizona Silhouette. I had 1 more to turn for the display at the Arts Gallery but I didn't make it there and have sold 8 of them so far with people just seeing this one. These have the ceramic rose inside and went over real well with the ladies. So I guess I had better get moving it as they want them for Christmas and I have about 15 ornaments to make by Thanksgiving. By the way I will get pictures of the display after she has finished. She has it about half setup and looks pretty good. Right in the middle of the room.

Anyway it was turned with just a skew, finished by wet sanding from 220 to 600 grit and the Beall buffing with Tripoli and White Diamond. For my first I am pretty pleased with it.

Charlie Schultz
10-31-2008, 1:59 PM
Awesome! I'm going to try some of those. Did you pretty much follow the video on the AS site?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2008, 2:01 PM
Those are beauties Bernie! I've turned them for gifts and they are quite popular!

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2008, 2:32 PM
That's the first time I've seen one of those and it is a beauty! Very nice Bernie! Looking forward to seeing the display!

Don Carter
10-31-2008, 2:53 PM
Beautiful Bernie. Good look with the Arts Council Display. I got to some of these and I want to learn how to do the ornaments as well.
All the best.

Don

John Nowack
10-31-2008, 10:49 PM
nice-now I just have to find out what "turned from Arizona Silhouette"---i assume it is same form of liquid plastic that you make blanks out of

Richard Madison
10-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Transparent wood with interesting artifacts inside, found by archeologists excavating prehistoric sites. Very expensive.

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have 3 more to do and if these are as fun to make as the first one I will be doing more. Ed Davidson on Arizona Silhouette has a video on how to make these and he makes it look so easy. I used some of his techniques and mostly just conventional skew work.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2008, 11:48 PM
There you go using that 4 letter word Bernie......SKEW...

The length of curlies you can get coming off those things are amazing aren't they!

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Yep Ken but they sure do make a mess. Sure are fun but a mess. I was really impressed after polishing how beautiful these things are.

Paul Douglass
11-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Very nice bottles stopper. I turned on from the same source that has the Navy emblem in it. It is for my son. They are fun to make.

Ken Glass
11-01-2008, 5:57 PM
Bernie,
That's a beauty. I have never seen one before. I will have to go look at the site. I have several friends who would love one for Christmas. Thanks for showing us.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2008, 6:01 PM
Ken,

Arizona Silhouette sells them.

Go to Yoyospin.com to watch videos on how the maker turns.

Andrew Derhammer
11-01-2008, 6:55 PM
nice-now I just have to find out what "turned from Arizona Silhouette"---i assume it is same form of liquid plastic that you make blanks out of
Arizona Silhouette is a company specializing in turning. Real quick shipping!

Eugene Wigley
11-02-2008, 8:11 PM
Bernie, that is really nice. Thanks for posting it. I had no idea that someting like that could be done with a wood lathe. I am getting more excited about owning a lathe. I have several friends that would like to have something like that.

Dewey Torres
11-02-2008, 8:14 PM
Great idea Bernie... thanks for sharing!

Toney Robertson
11-02-2008, 8:54 PM
Bernie,

First of all that is a beautiful stopper.

I have some questions if someone would help me out.

The presenter said that if you use the sandpaper dry it will produce larger scratches than if used wet. Assuming that is a correct statement, Why? Since you are using the same grit it does seem like it should make a difference wet vs. dry. The only reason that I can think of that might cause a difference is when used wet you have a slurry.

He went from 220 to 400. Is it not as important to not skip grits when dealing with plastics?

He presented his skew in more of a scraper orientation. Is that common for plastics?

TIA,

Toney

Andrew Derhammer
11-02-2008, 8:55 PM
Bernie,

The presenter said that if you use the sandpaper dry it will produce larger scratches than if used wet. Assuming that is a correct statement, Why? Since you are using the same grit it does seem like it should make a difference wet vs. dry. The only reason that I can think of that might cause a difference is when used wet you have a slurry.

He went from 220 to 400. Is it not as important to not skip grits when dealing with plastics?

He presented his skew in more of a scraper orientation. Is that common for plastics?

TIA,

Toney
If you use the sandpaper dry, you can start to burn and melt the plastic and it can ruin the sand paper, micromesh is extremely prone to heat damage.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2008, 9:23 PM
Bernie,

TIA,

Toney

Toney,

If you saw the video at yoyospin.com....he has what I would consider a rather extreme angle on his skew. He may be scraping and he may be cutting. I have done several of these and have successfully scraped and sliced with a skew. They really do work rather easily.

The wet sanding helps keep from generating too much heat. It's the Beal buffing, however, that makes it look like glass.